music fanatic

refurbished/used nad worth the risk?

I need a relatively inexpensive AV reciever to drive my studio40s. i'm considering the possibility of used or refurbished nad t742/t752...something along those lines, but I know nad hasn't been the most reliable. I don't have a nad dealer anywhere remotely near me, so i'm kind of limited to buying online. Is it worth it or should I just stick to what's available...(comparable yamaha, hk, marantz, denon models).
    i may just end up getting an rx-v740 online for around $400 to get me started and then spend some time researching preamps/amps or saving up for a higher end av reciever.

I have a Denon and think it's more than acceptable, IMNSHO, but others have other favorites. It's been a good performer for over 1 1/2 years do far. The manual takes a little getting used to, but in this day and age, all receivers require a bit of homework to get all they are capable of.

If NAD tickels your fancy, check out the "deals" page here. All NIB with full manufacturer's warranties. http://www.saturdayaudio.com

My two channel system is mostly NAD components and again, I've had no trouble with any of 'em and I've been using thsm since '98. I would have gone NAD for HT but the price/performance/feature ratio of the Denon was hard to beat. ...not to mention the sound.
    Last edited by markw; 03-16-2004 at 10:16 PM.

music fanatic
    cool, thanks for the link. i'd feel much safer purchasing a new unit so that makes my decision a little easier

Thread Information