Sugg. for inter/amp

or stereo recv. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 and leaning toward going with something new. My speakers will be Energy C-3's and I'll be using my Denon DCM 380 CD player.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    LJ - read ericl's review of the Jolida JD 1301 Hybrid Integrated. It's linked from the ar home page. If you're setting this up in a medium to small room, this may be an oppurtunity for you to try tubes. The Jolida's current price is $390. (www.spearitsound.com has free shipping on all Jolida products) I think there are a couple of other manufacturers who have hybrid integrateds at the $500 price point, but I'm drawing a blank now.

I'd be interested to know whether Eric had a chance to do some tube swapping after the review. I bet a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS would do really well in the Jolida and they're only about $20 a pair.

Hey Dean, I'll read that review. The room is gonna be on the large side but I don't have an exact measurement yet.

Tube swapping Man I need to do some major research. My main interest have been HT and music has just come along for the ride. Looking foward to a 2 chan setup in the near future.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    hey, if you're looking for something new to obsess over, you can't beat tubes.

One of the usual integrated suspects at your budget is the Cambridge Audio 540A. The NAD325BEE should be pretty good, too. Its list price is $399. The NAD C352 lists for $599. I think Marantz's integrated is around that price. Marantz, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and maybe Denon have stereo receivers in that price bracket. For stereo receivers, I'd start at www.crutchfield.com for pics, specs and features because I think they carry most of those mentioned and they include tons of product info. You may be able to beat their prices elsewhere. For the integrateds, you can start with www.audioadvisor.com and spearitsound.com for good pics, specs and features. Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing your top choices once you narrow the field.

Jolida JD-1501R is at 100watts per channel for $675. You might want to keep your eyes open at A'gon.

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatube&1&ctg&st1

JD 1501 was just sold for $350, not bad at all.

-JRA

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    hey, if you're looking for something new to obsess over, you can't beat tubes.

One of the usual integrated suspects at your budget is the Cambridge Audio 540A. The NAD325BEE should be pretty good, too. Its list price is $399. The NAD C352 lists for $599. I think Marantz's integrated is around that price. Marantz, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and maybe Denon have stereo receivers in that price bracket. For stereo receivers, I'd start at www.crutchfield.com for pics, specs and features because I think they carry most of those mentioned and they include tons of product info. You may be able to beat their prices elsewhere. For the integrateds, you can start with www.audioadvisor.com and spearitsound.com for good pics, specs and features. Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing your top choices once you narrow the field.
    Yeah I was just going over both those sites earlier today. Lots to chose from. I have a few dealers close so I should be able to audition a few. I was hoping some would chime in with personal experience with any of these products in my price range. The good thing is that I'm starting early so I'll have plenty of time to narrow it down a bit.

I'm going to give you an advice you probably wont consider. I purchased my Mr Liung Tube integrated Amp from a local Agon member for $400. And that is about the price he paid including shipping from Hong Kong.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MRLIUNG-2002-EL3...QQcmdZViewItem

This one is EL-34 based IntAmp while mine is based on KT88s. KT88s will give you a slightly more slams than EL34, but I wouldnt worry too much.
    These Chinese integrateds are nothing to laugh at. The only problems I had was that I used wrong fuse and it blow up some resistors. Your local shops can fix that for you no problem, but just make sure you use correct fuse. That;s it and I think you can take care of that. Caps may deter over time(usually about 10 years) depending on materials used. But local shops can swap that with no problems. But, alot of people never replace them and play their music with beautiful sound.
    Also I was worried about replacing 6N6-T tubes, but getting them from AudioTriode.com is no problem. They should last for years but I was anxious to get 2 pairs. Now, I have no worries.

They will drive your C3 with no problems as long as you wont be blasting music like Crowbar, GoatWhores and others.

I could not be happier with my Mr Luing or whatever it is. It sounds alot better to ME than Rotel RSX-972 I've recently sold. 6N11 tubes can easilu be replaced with 6DJ8s/E88CC.

Just somem for people to consider.
    Warning: Tube gears are very addicting.

-JRA

Personally, I'd go with a Rega Brio 3. You haven't really heard music until you hear what brands like Rega and Naim can do. Dynamic, engaging, life like, crystal highs, solid tunefull bass, and PRaT (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing). Once you've heard a system with PRaT it's hard to listen to musically disgointed, ponderous systems that can't get out of the way and let the music through. That's my opinion anyway. YMMV

Although the Brio 3 lists for slightly more than your $500 limit ($595), it can be acquired for less if you bargain with the dealer. I've seen them go for under $500.

Good hunting.

Thread Information