Forum Regular

Sugden Class A Bijou series amp. Any opinions?

I'd be very pleased to read some comments on any of the Sugden Bijou range, especially the amps and the CD player. Haven't seen much in the press about these and it is difficult to find a dealer to demo them. However, they are available online from the US importer. A bit of a gamble or excellent products?

Forum Regular
    I know RGA would answer to this one.
    Anyways, Sugden is definately one of legends out there in SS hifi.
    Been around for decades and still around, alive and stong.
    I cant comment on their sound since its hard to find a place to audition them.
    They are not available online. On the site, it says that they need to be sold from a dealer for proper auditioning. Buying online may not have warrenty. You might want to check out their website to find out who carries them. If you live in BC, Soundhounds in Victoria is one dealer that carries these.
    A safer buy, though would be the A21a, which is Sugden's oldest product still in production. Check out reviews at HiFichoice.com. Its a 25watt pure class A. People says its ugly, but I think its ok...just a little plain

Forum Regular

They can be bought online at...

http://store.yahoo.com/stanalog/sugden.html

I understand that Stanalog is the US importer. I see nothing there about service/repair though. I wonder if there are good after-sales facilitiers in the US for Sugden.

I've never experienced Class A amps so I'm just a little cautious about the $2000 investment on the Musicmaster. I need to buy speakers too, so I'm not limited by having an unsuitable pair at present. Trouble is, I'm not sure what a suitable pair would be.

Forum Regular
    If I were you, I would go for the A21a instead.
    Its a 25watt pure class A integrated. Pure class A is the best you are going to get SS or tube. Keep in mind that it will run very hot. The louder you play it, the cooler it is. For most people, 25 watts is ample. I would be very content with 25watts, but there are headbangers out there who need at least 4 times as much to be satisfied. But dont hear it from me, hear it yourself. The A21a is a safer product though due to its history. Check out their website. The first amp Sugden made was the A21a. To this day, its still about the same design, except they have 25watts instead of the 10 it started with.

Find a dealer if you can. Usually, you can get at least 20% off the retail price. On the A21a, that's an over $300 less.

You probably want some at least some mid-efficient speakers for these though...80db/watt/m is definately not gonna cut it. How much money have you got to spend?

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
    I suppose my thinking is that, since I want the HeadMaster pre-amp/headphone amp anyway, it would be nice to have the visual match of the other Bijou components, so long as they are of sufficient quality. I have no components at present due to selling off my Sony ES gear which I became disatisfied with, so I only have to match the new items, without needing to consider existing units.
    My speaker budget (if I go for the Class A amp) will be no more than $2500. Well, maybe I could push to $3000 if I have too.
    My music taste is primarily early music and baroque opera, plus some blues/jazz. I've no need of highest volume levels as I live in an apartment (hence my special interest in the HeadMaster unit) and don't listen to rock.

Forum Regular
    I listened to the sony ES speakers, but wasnt very impressed.

Speakers at your price range I have heard good things about:
    B&W 700 or 800 series
    Reference 3a De Capo
    Audio Note
    Quad 22L
    Focal JM Labs (dont know what series though)
    cant think any more...tired...

Anyways, I have only checked out the JMLabs, Quad, and B&W. They are all really good, but Quad gets best marks for looks. I'm looking to audition Audio Note soon as well as the De Capo.

Check these out yourself and see which one you like best. Others will surely post more of their favourite brands.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightstuff
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
    I suppose my thinking is that, since I want the HeadMaster pre-amp/headphone amp anyway, it would be nice to have the visual match of the other Bijou components, so long as they are of sufficient quality. I have no components at present due to selling off my Sony ES gear which I became disatisfied with, so I only have to match the new items, without needing to consider existing units.
    My speaker budget (if I go for the Class A amp) will be no more than $2500. Well, maybe I could push to $3000 if I have too.
    My music taste is primarily early music and baroque opera, plus some blues/jazz. I've no need of highest volume levels as I live in an apartment (hence my special interest in the HeadMaster unit) and don't listen to rock.
    Are you in Canada or US? Which funds are we in?

The A21a is one of the best SS amps available provided you have a relatively easy load speaker like mine. Speaking of mine they would run you $1500.00Cdn at Soundhounds in Victoria because they're last years' model...everywhere else you'r looking at a $1950.00US list.

The Headmaster and the resto of the Bijou series was given product of the year in What Hi-Fi Magazine. So was their matching cd player. I have not heard them but Soundhounds is an authorized Sugden Dealer ---but you have to order it - and pay for it...no audition first. Soundhounds carries a lot in stock but because they carry SO MANY different companies they have a very tiny sample from each. The last I was there they only had one Sugden and that was the Optimus 140 a now discontinued product - has been for years. But the warranty would be solid.

I have considered the Headmaster preamp myself to upgrade my A48b's preamp. Plus I would not mind also upgrading my headphone amp at the same time. It's a dilemma because it's a world class Headphone amp - so good they made it into a preamp as well - even comes with remote.

It is class A though most - ALL - preamps are class A. What makes the Headmaster a bit different is that it is not a tube amp and it is not a Solid State unit either - it's kind of strange - but it's supposed t be terrific.

Interestingly one of the designers working at Audio Note now works at Sugden. And Sugden's owner Peter Qvortrup(When he was an Importer/dealer) use to import Snell Speakers and use Sugden(even my Sugden) as demo gear. You have to understand...Peter hates Solid State amplifiers though he respected Jim Sugden's A21a and the companies' approach to solid state (since Peter dealt Jim Sugden's gear) - even saying they're good amplifiers given the cost constraints. Audio Note doesn't have the cost constraints selling amps at $250,000.00US - so to say that about a sub $1kGBP integrated and Solid State amp something he usually despises is high praise indeed - well from him --- you don't have to look far for high praise for the A21a.

Interstingly both companies also employ the same 1980s internal DAC chip in their cd players(well some of them for Audio Note), that both companies believe is the best.

The A21a is the longest running amplifier in history and UHF even credited the amp for saving the entire high end industry in the 70s when dozens of companies were going out of business or forced to get out of retail because the japanese were killing them. They could not kill Sugden because Sugden never advertised - they didn't rely on that crap to sell their amplifiers and they still don't advertise - they have dealers who sometimes will because dealers want to make money but Sugden doesn't...you'll find them if you were interested in good sound.

The thing has been identical since 1989 when it was revamped and has been selling since 1968. It doesn't look great it runs bloody hot, has no remote control - and if that were not enough most people who go into the shop have never heard of Sugden. Hmmm - let me think --- why does it continue to sell?.........................

Forum Regular
    Very interesting reply. Thank you.

Well, I've taken the plunge.
    Via the internet, I found a dealer on the other side of the country who had the Sugden Bijou pieces in stock, but as display items only. He insists they are mint and have only been on show for a few weeks. So I negotiated $2,750 for the three pieces (CDMaster, Headmaster and the smaller Class A/B amp) which is ok considering the CD player alone is $2000 and the others $1000 apiece. They should be arriving Saturday.
    It seems Sugden gear doesn't move fast because no-one over here asks for it, no doubt due to the lack of advertising you mentioned.
    I do hope the dealer is right about the as-new condition. If so, I think I will have a good buy. It's the first time I've bought something "blind" like this. I'll report the outcome here.
    But I now have some unexpected extra budget for speakers and cables.

Forum Regular
    I'd be very pleased to read some comments on any of the Sugden Bijou range, especially the amps and the CD player. Haven't seen much in the press about these and it is difficult to find a dealer to demo them. However, they are available online from the US importer. A bit of a gamble or excellent products?

That's an expensive amp for 34 watts.
    mtrycrafts

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Very interesting reply. Thank you.

Well, I've taken the plunge.
    Via the internet, I found a dealer on the other side of the country who had the Sugden Bijou pieces in stock, but as display items only. He insists they are mint and have only been on show for a few weeks. So I negotiated $2,750 for the three pieces (CDMaster, Headmaster and the smaller Class A/B amp) which is ok considering the CD player alone is $2000 and the others $1000 apiece. They should be arriving Saturday.
    It seems Sugden gear doesn't move fast because no-one over here asks for it, no doubt due to the lack of advertising you mentioned.
    I do hope the dealer is right about the as-new condition. If so, I think I will have a good buy. It's the first time I've bought something "blind" like this. I'll report the outcome here.
    But I now have some unexpected extra budget for speakers and cables.
    Man I don't know that i would buy something this expensive without hearing it beside some other gear. Granted Hi-Fi choice has a panel of revieers in a blind listening session levels matched to do some of the leg work for you. Interestingly they have caught several manufacturers who ended up choosing some OTHER companies' equipment as being the best in their shootouts.

The Sugden A21a at 25 watts per channel will drive 98% of the speakers on the planet to deafening levels(provided the speaker is capable of deafening levels). Interestingly it is also well suited to electrostatic designs from Quad. You'll likely never need more than 10 watts from a Sugden...Thee original was 10 watts and can still drive most speakers today.

Let us know if the set-up is a good one.

Forum Regular

I went for the Class A MusicMaster at the last minute.

Incidently, I received wonderful service from the importer today. I told him that I was having second thoughts about buying a display setup from one of his dealers and I asked if he had new systems in stock at the warehouse. Guess what? After talking to the dealer, the importer is sending me a brand new system direct from the warehouse, while honoring the dealer's low price. So the dealer gets his money, and I get brand new items PLUS, I upgraded to the Class A amp at the same time.
    I think the importer was particularly helpful because he had been unable to return some previous e-mails to me about Sugden products because he was away for several days. He certainly made up for it with great service on his return.
    The new stuff arrives Saturday. I'll give my opinions about the sound once it has all settled in.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    What speakers are you running?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    What speakers are you running?
    I am seeking speakers now. My dealer has just given me some suggestions and from the reviews I've looked up, the ones I need to listen to are Reference 3a de capos (which he feels work very well with Sugdens) and Proac (not specific about model).
    Seeing as several models he suggested were not ones he carried, I value his opinion all the more and will check them out.
    Although he does stock the Wilson Benesch Arc, he doesn't think this is a great match for the Sugden.
    I'd like to hear your suggestions, around the $3000-mark.

Forum Regular
    Maybe the best way first burn in your amp with your Sony ES, then take it to different hifi stores to try out what fits best with them. Sometimes its not what's a good speaker, but what is a good speaker for your amp.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am seeking speakers now. My dealer has just given me some suggestions and from the reviews I've looked up, the ones I need to listen to are Reference 3a de capos (which he feels work very well with Sugdens) and Proac (not specific about model).
    Seeing as several models he suggested were not ones he carried, I value his opinion all the more and will check them out.
    Although he does stock the Wilson Benesch Arc, he doesn't think this is a great match for the Sugden.
    I'd like to hear your suggestions, around the $3000-mark.
    The De Capo is a first rate speaker...Rather pricey in Britain though - I'm assuming you're in Britain? I would look for tube friendly speakers which is why your dealer suggested the De Capo. I chose the AN K spe over the De capo - the K IMO was superior at the end of the day for a retail of $1950.00US the De Capo was $2500.00US. But the K is upgradeable to a $5950.00 version.

If You're looking for full range then I would suggest you listen to the AN J or AN E standmounts(big as a floorstander but on stands). They would be easy to find in Europe - harder in the US. http://www.dagogo.com/AudioNoteAN-E-D.html http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/reviews.htm
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=475

The AN J - I am even looking at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...udspeakers.htm
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=1577

http://www.triodeandco.com/Prod_Loudspeakers.html

Other personal reviews you have to scroll down and click reviewer http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/rev...oryID=Speakers

Don't buy speakers without hearing first but do try and get audition. I had never heard of them until I tried them against the De Capo.

The De Capo is very good but it's nice to expand and try others as well.

Forum Regular
    I think he's from the US or else he wouldnt have to buy it online at a US distributer

RGA, can I ask you a favour?
    When you go to Soundhounds can you ask them how much the 10-inch stands are?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    It's going to be a while but Iwill. Pretty sure all the stands are the same price. Other companies can always custom make stands though.

Forum Regular
    Thanks man...I owe you one.

Forum Regular

Huhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!??????

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yeah What the ?

Thread Information