Subwoofer rumble

Printable View

• 01-06-2007, 05:05 AM
    Bingo
    Subwoofer rumble
    :confused: Recently I noticed a very subtle rumble in my system (two channel stereo) probably emanating from the subwoofer (SVS SB12 Plus). The rumble is so slight that the only time it becomes noticeable is when the music signal is very low (I listen to classical music which means that there's often many quiet passages in a work, especially a symphony or a concerto)....The rumble is not predominant, and I probably could live with it and most likely will unless there is a simple solution to get rid of it. Has anyone out there experienced such a low, almost faint rumble? I did notice that my 'rumble' isn't always present - I think I narrowed it down to certain CDs...but I am not sure of that. It may be possible that the rumble comes from the CD player, which in my case is a Cary CD308. I though that whatever gagget rotates the CD might cause it....but perhaps somebody who reads this might have a better idea about this or even know how to get rid of it.....if so let me know. I'm using the Bryston B60R SST Integrated Amplifier.

Bingo
  • 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    CD players don't generate rumble. Turntables will, but not CD players. I would assume it's the recording, and the next time I heard it, hit pause and see if it goes away (which it sounds like you've already done).
  • 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM
    basite
    i do have some cd's where there is rumble, but it's the recording, not the cd player...
    if it's not worth bothering, then don't bother about it...

you say you listen to classic, some classic music you hear can be old, and was re-recorded from a vinyl record onto a cd, then there could be rumble on the vinyl record which was recorded on the cd too...

greetings,
    Bert.
  • 01-06-2007, 08:42 PM
    Hashpot
    Is your stereo old?
  • 01-07-2007, 01:17 AM
    Bingo
    I have the answer
    :18: I contacted a sales rep with SVS and explained my 'rumble' to him, and he gave a logical explanation that reverts back to the CD. He told me that when they are in the recording process,sometimes they don't use an infra-sonic filter...it also happens when they are taking sound from vinyl and transferring it to CD...and that, he said is what can cause the rumble. He also agreed that it does happen from time to time with some Deutsche Gramaphone labels...which is where I first noticed it. Anyway, its good to know it wasn't my imagination.

Bingo
  • 05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
    Is the SVS SB12-Plus up to the task?
    Bingo,

I am seriously considering the SVS SB12-Plus sub as a replacement for my water-heater-sized cylinder sub. The size of the latter has finally reached the limits of what my wife and kids are willing to bear. My budget is under $750, so money is tight, and I am also looking at Earthquake and PSB (mostly used) subs to compare.

I love that my current sub can go down to 16Hz and shake the whole house with movies - SVS certainly packs a lot of bang-for-the-buck into those units. I also listen to a lot of classical music, especially SACDs. I used to play the organ and piano, so I own a lot of music that goes way down low (Franck, Bach, Vierne, Widor, etc.), as well as a large mostly vinyl collection of classical and jazz. I'm wondering if the SB-12 Plus sub is up to the task. I like the fact that it is a closed-box design, but I am concerned that I would be giving up a lot of that bass extension.

Any suggestions?
  • 05-03-2007, 08:00 AM
    basite
    definately look at REL too, their QUAKE (yes, it's small) provides good bass, they should fit in your budget real nice too...

but apart from that, SVS, and the Dayton kits too...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
    Woochifer
    As another remedy, I would try the subwoofer in a different location and see if that helps.

As others have pointed out, rumbling is very common with turntables but not with CD players. I'm not so sure that the rumbling would be in an original recording since most of them are done in acoustically controlled studios. In my experience, the biggest variations in the lower frequencies are caused more by the room than anything else, so that's why you should try the sub in a different part of the room (or move your seat).

Sound wave interactions in your room will result in bass cancellations at some frequencies and huge boomy peaks at other frequencies. These peaks can amplify the sound by upwards of 20 to 30 db at certain frequencies. That rumble might be a relatively low level artifact in the original recording (or even caused by an otherwise innocuous defect in your preamp/amp), but hitting the right note can cause a very audible bit of boominess even at low levels.

If you find that the rumbling disappears after moving your seat and/or sub, then you know that it's the room acoustics causing the problem. Remedies for these issues include changing the sub and seat placement, room treatments such as corner bass traps, and equalization.
  • 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    Bingo,

I am seriously considering the SVS SB12-Plus sub as a replacement for my water-heater-sized cylinder sub. The size of the latter has finally reached the limits of what my wife and kids are willing to bear. My budget is under $750, so money is tight, and I am also looking at Earthquake and PSB (mostly used) subs to compare.

I love that my current sub can go down to 16Hz and shake the whole house with movies - SVS certainly packs a lot of bang-for-the-buck into those units. I also listen to a lot of classical music, especially SACDs. I used to play the organ and piano, so I own a lot of music that goes way down low (Franck, Bach, Vierne, Widor, etc.), as well as a large mostly vinyl collection of classical and jazz. I'm wondering if the SB-12 Plus sub is up to the task. I like the fact that it is a closed-box design, but I am concerned that I would be giving up a lot of that bass extension.

Any suggestions?

Actually by going with a sealed box (assuming similar capabilities with the driver, amp, etc.), you will often get more bass extension -- albeit at lower peak output and with a frequency curve that starts to taper off earlier. Depending on the boundary effects from your room, you very well might get much more accurate bass by going with a sealed design, since the low frequency dropoff on a sealed sub occurs at the same rate as the bass reinforcement created by the room boundaries. A good ported sub will have a more linear frequency curve, but the dropoff will occur very rapidly once you go below the tuned port frequency.

What I've read with that SVS model, you will give up some of the peak output (and a lot of the bass boost that your room might have been providing down to the tuned port frequency), but you gain some "musicality" and tightness in the bass. But, as with all thing in those lower registers, YMMV depending on your room conditions and placement. In my room, even a relatively modest 12" sealed sub was unbearably boomy out of the box. Once I tuned my subwoofer with a parametric EQ, it really came to life and integrates very well with classical music.
  • 05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
    Wooch,

Thanks for the info. I'm actually heading into AV hell this summer. I've been kicked out of the living room and will be setting up my TV room in one of our bedrooms: about 160 sq. feet. So I'm swapping out the TV for a flat screen and selling all my box speakers to replace them with on-walls. The floor is wood, the walls are bare and the room will be set up with the TV along the long wall. And of course, that also means that my dear 16-46 SVS sub has to go.

Now I know I mentioned that I was also considering Earthquake and PSB subs, but after moving the furniture around last night, there is no way I'm going to have room for anything much larger than a cubic foot. My new list is pretty short: Vienna SubSon, something from Carver if I can afford it, or the SVS SB12+. If anyone has any other suggestions in the under $750 range, let me know.