Thread: subwoofer out

Forum Regular

subwoofer out

I have a denon DRA 685 receiver running to my B&W shelf 302's. I know I should probably sell the receiver because I am going to start watching movies off the system and the receiver is just a stereo set up. At the moment however I can't afford to get a new receiver or amp (or both) My problem now is that my current speakers don't produce the bass I would like out of them and music is more important to me than anything else so those other issues get pushed to the back burner. The only thing is the denon I have doesn't have a designated pre-out for a sub, I have not bought my sub yet so I was wondering what the best way to hook a sub up to my receiver would be and in turn if there is anything I should look for in my sub before I buy it.

Here is a picture of the back of my receiver from crutchfield so you know all I have to work with. Thanks for the help I just wasn't sure what the best way was to go about this

[http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AzAVTp0...=XL#morephotos

PH

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pwh03
    I have a denon DRA 685 receiver running to my B&W shelf 302's. I know I should probably sell the receiver because I am going to start watching movies off the system and the receiver is just a stereo set up. At the moment however I can't afford to get a new receiver or amp (or both) My problem now is that my current speakers don't produce the bass I would like out of them and music is more important to me than anything else so those other issues get pushed to the back burner. The only thing is the denon I have doesn't have a designated pre-out for a sub, I have not bought my sub yet so I was wondering what the best way to hook a sub up to my receiver would be and in turn if there is anything I should look for in my sub before I buy it.

Here is a picture of the back of my receiver from crutchfield so you know all I have to work with. Thanks for the help I just wasn't sure what the best way was to go about this

[http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AzAVTp0...=XL#morephotos

PH
    You need to look for a sub that has both a speaker level and line level input.
    With your present component, I see it has a pre amp out, and in.
    You have two options:
    Run two interconnects from pre out to the sub in, the sub will use its crossover and from the sub out, two more interconnects to amp in, just under the pre outs. Your sub will do th elows where you set the crossover, th eshelf will do everything above it. No wonder your lows were lacking with a shelf speaker
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Ok thanks for the help, I'm in college right now and the set up is at home so I didn't get to finish it before I left thats why theres no sub. and recomondations for a small bedroom with those speakers?

3-6 hundred would be good used or new

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwh03
    Ok thanks for the help, I'm in college right now and the set up is at home so I didn't get to finish it before I left thats why theres no sub. and recomondations for a small bedroom with those speakers?

3-6 hundred would be good used or new
    $400 Hsu Research VTF/STF-2 will be just fine.

Thread Information