nightflier

Stupid Question (?) about HT Passthrough RCA's

I was helping my friend reconfigure his Anthem preamp (I think the model was PVA-2 ?) and amp setup today and it has a pair of RCA jacks for theater passthrough. What are these, and what would one connect these to?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I was helping my friend reconfigure his Anthem preamp (I think the model was PVA-2 ?) and amp setup today and it has a pair of RCA jacks for theater passthrough. What are these, and what would one connect these to?
    The theater passthrough connections (also called theater bypass on some preamps) allow you to use the PVA-2's right and left main channels for dedicated 2-channel stereo only and switch a surround processor in when needed for multichannel surround sound. In stereo mode, the selected input signal is routed directly to the R+L preamp outputs/R+L main amplification channels/R+L main speakers. In surround mode, the selected input signal is routed to the inputs of the connected surround processor and the R+L front output signals of the processor are routed through the preamp to its R+L main outputs.
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-20-2006 at 09:30 PM.

nightflier
    So in stereo, the preamplifier would use the multichannel amp's front L&R channels, right? So this would allow one to use the supposed higher end stereo preamp instead of the supposed lesser one in the surround amp.

Also, when in multichannel mode, does the preamplifier need to be on? Or will the front L&R signal find it's way to the amp passively?

Come to think of it, then one would have to turn the multichannel amp on each time the preamplifier is to be used. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

So in stereo, the preamplifier would use the multichannel amp's front L&R channels, right? So this would allow one to use the supposed higher end stereo preamp instead of the supposed lesser one in the surround amp.
    Yes, the preamp would use the multichannel amp's front R+L channels OR a separate 2-channel amp if one so desired.

Also, when in multichannel mode, does the preamplifier need to be on? Or will the front L&R signal find it's way to the amp passively?
    It depends on whether the preamp will pass a signal to the surround processor with the power off. You will have to check.

Come to think of it, then one would have to turn the multichannel amp on each time the preamplifier is to be used. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
    Did you really mean turn on the "processor" each time the preamp is to be used (in 2-channel mode) ? The answer would be no, since the preamp bypasses the surround processor altogether in 2-channel mode.
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-22-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Suspended
    You guys have me confused. Isn't the PV2 stereo? A "theater bypass" is so you can run HT into your 2 channel system. You run the processor or receivers front/main preamp outputs into the bypass so the processor can use the 2 channel system's power amp as a slave. You will need the 2 channel pre & power on as well along with the HT part. The signal from the HT front outs passes through the bypass of the 2 channel preamp and into the power amp to run the mains.

For example, I had a Krell integrated 2 channel system and wanted to go HT, I just got a processor, plugged the front outs into My "theater through", added a 3 channel amp for center and surround, and there you go. My 2 channel was the same system but when wanting to use HT, I just hit a button on the Krell and then turn on the rest of the HT.

If that's what you meant, I didn't follow. It sounded like you all were going the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    You guys have me confused. Isn't the PV2 stereo? A "theater bypass" is so you can run HT into your 2 channel system. You run the processor or receivers front/main preamp outputs into the bypass so the processor can use the 2 channel system's power amp as a slave. You will need the 2 channel pre & power on as well along with the HT part. The signal from the HT front outs passes through the bypass of the 2 channel preamp and into the power amp to run the mains. If that's what you meant, I didn't follow. It sounded like you all were going the other direction.
    This is sort of what I was trying to explain. You just said it better than I did.

nightflier
    Well one thing that would make this a whole lot more user-friendly is 12v triggers for the preamp and amp. My friend's preamp is actually a Pre-2L and does not have this, although 12v triggers are common on most other Anthem gear. This being a tube pre, it might actually be better to leave it on, I know, but for solid state preamps with HT pass-throughs, this should be mandatory.

I realize that there may be some sonic degradation with extra circuitry (although I douobt it), but if you're going to spend $2-3K on a quality solid state pre with pass-throughs, the manufacturer should include this. There are just too many mid-to-hi fi preamps out there that skimp on comon sense features. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

My friend is actually running the preamp with a seperate amp and speakers. It is in the same rack as the HT gear, but the DVD player's optical outs are going to a DAC and then to the stereo inputs on the pre.

Suspended
    Something crazy, most of my gear have 12v triggers and I have never used them.

In regards to leaving your gear on, I'd check the manual. C-J actually recommends turning off my tube gear, so I do. I guess a warm up period is one of the draw backs of tube gear.

Thread Information