Forum Regular

Stereo Receiver??

Hi! I'm planning to buy a stereo receiver. I don't have experience. And here is what I've foud :

Onkyo TX-8211 - $161.99 2x50W

Onkyo TX-8511 - $242.99 2x100W

Denon DRA-295 - $249.99 2x50W

Denon DRA-395 - $349.99 2x80W

Marantz SR-4320 - $400 2x80W

Denon DRA-685 - $499.99 2x100W

How to choose the right receiver? Onkyo TX-8511 has a good price, but it looks cheap? Denon DRA-685 and Marantz SR-4320 are more expesive, but they look better. Do you think there is big difference? If I'll buy cheaper receiver I can buy better speakers. I'm plannig to spend about 700-900$ for receiver and bookself speakers. I'll like to buy Onkyo TX-851 because of good price, but I'm afraid that is not so good than denon or marantz. Tell me if you have any experiece with any of those receivers. Thanks

Jaro Rohal from Slovakia

jaroslavrohal@usa.com

Forum Regular
    are you going for full out quality sound, or just a loud half decent stereo?

if your first priority is loudness then the onkyo tx-851 would be the way to go. dont get me wrong it would sound good but maybe not quite as good as the others you have listed. but there is a fairly big price gap between some.

the 100 watt denon would be the best of both words here. but its twice the price of the onkyo.

Suspended
    I have a little 50 watt Onkyo in the bedroom. It's a few years old. Don't shy away because of the price, this receiver has some drive. I haven't heard the Denon 2 channel, I'd hope for $500. and only 2 channel it would be better than average.

Take a couple of your favorite cd's in give these receivers a listen. Try to keep the variables down. Like use the same cd player and speakers if possible when comparing. Listen more than once and try to single certain things out to focus on. For instance, maybe vocals first, then bass, etc. Listen for things that are clearer through one over the other or maybe a detail that comes through better. Which sound do you enjoy the best.

This Onkyo I have really matched well with a pair of Infinity 6" 2-ways. I'm using a smaller pair of AR's now. They are alright but the Infinity's were better overall.

Forum Regular

Dra-685

I bought the DRA-685 for my sister-in-law. It's an impressive stereo receiver. I bought it via the internet for about $250, new in the box. If you're willing to shop around the net, then of the models you listed I think the DRA-685 is best by a considerable margin. Read its reviews! Good luck.

Forum Regular

Denon DRA-685

I accidently posted my reply to Mr. Peabody's reponse. Here's what I said:

I bought the DRA-685 for my sister-in-law. It's an impressive stereo receiver. I bought it via the internet for about $250, new in the box. If you're willing to shop around the net, then of the models you listed I think the DRA-685 is best by a considerable margin. Read its reviews! Good luck.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I just purchased the Denon 395 as a refurbished unit from j and r (www.jr.com) for $179.00 USD. Full warranty, good as new. I like it. I don't know what your options in Slovakia are. But maybe you can get a lower price and still save with the shipping? Denon has a good reputation for sound quality.

noddin0ff

do you really need a built-in tuner? I suggest you go out and listen to hifi gear such as separates and integrated amps to gauge these receivers. bring a disk you know well as a reference. what about a $399 NAD C320BEE integrated amp with remote? no tuner, but the sonic performance is better than even the best receivers this side of $1000. It can drive down to 2ohms, and output up to 210w/ch. And this is not just about power, its about finesse, detail, bass, realism, depth of imaging and soundstage...these all come to focus with a good amp like this. You can look at it this way too, you won't have to upgrade as soon if you buy this. Go to a local hifi store and listen to a decent receiver then a integrated amp by a name like NAD or Rotel. Bring a test cd with you. You can get the amp for $279 online at http://www.yawaonline.com/amplifiers.html. You have to call them for the best price on gear, though. Put a post "amp vs. receiver" or search these forums, you'll get good opinions...also, you can add an inexpensive tuner later

take a look at this also...

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/buyersgu...subcategory=SA

and

http://www.nadelectronics.com/

enjoy

Forum Regular

refurbished

Quote Originally Posted by psonic
    You can get the amp for $279 online at http://www.yawaonline.com/amplifiers.html.
    I don't have any experience with refurbished gear. I'm sure the majority of it is just like new, but do you know if any "lemons" are sent out?

Thanks

GH

I agree with psonic, try and audition an integrated amp. I have an Onkyo TX-8211, which was replaced with a $350 Rotel integrated that sounds much better. The integrated I got is no longer made, but the Rotel RA-01 integrated is, and it sells for the same price.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I spoke with a hi fi sales person that also used to refurbish units for Denon. Refurbs are units that were returned for various reasons. Some might be returned because people would think that the remote was broken, but really didn't know how to put batteries in it, for example. Basically, many returns don't have anything wrong with them. Others do need repairs. Some small, some significant. If you buy from an authorised dealer, they all come with the same warranty as a new unit. I don't think any there is anymore chance of getting a lemon buying refurb as there is buying new. As long as you go with authorized dealers that offer full warranty.

The unit I bought seems new. It was packaged like new. Sounds new. Much less $$. Lemons exist, that's why there are warranties.

noddin0ff

Different direction

I don't know that you'll find any appreciable difference between the models you've listed, although I've always been partial to Denon and Marantz.

Personally, I'd look for a vintage receiver like a Marantz 2230, 2270b, etc. These things are built like tanks and their sound eclipses a modern Japanese receiver by a country mile (IMO of course). I have a Denon for HT and the 2230 I'm using in the br system blows it away for music, hands down. You can find cool gear on e-bay or audiogon all the time.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I spoke with a hi fi sales person that also used to refurbish units for Denon. Refurbs are units that were returned for various reasons. Some might be returned because people would think that the remote was broken, but really didn't know how to put batteries in it, for example. Basically, many returns don't have anything wrong with them. Others do need repairs. Some small, some significant. If you buy from an authorised dealer, they all come with the same warranty as a new unit. I don't think any there is anymore chance of getting a lemon buying refurb as there is buying new. As long as you go with authorized dealers that offer full warranty.

The unit I bought seems new. It was packaged like new. Sounds new. Much less $$. Lemons exist, that's why there are warranties.

noddin0ff
    Cool.

I've been thinking about going refurbished for a while and finally decided to just do it.

You're right. Much less $$ involved for what "they" say is the same product.

I recently purchased a NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp and NAD C521BEE CD Player: both refurbished.

The verdict will be in soon.

Thread Information