• 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
    jalopez
    Stereo Preamp with optical inputs recommendations?
    Hello,
    I have room with b&w cdm7nt speakers and a two channel rotel amp that I need to find a preamp for. I have simple criteria:

-at least 3 optical inputs
    -I'd like to spend less than $700 and don't mind buying used.
    -remote

I have usually purchased McIntosh equipment and have never been disappointed but I'd like to get other recommendations before I go down that path again.
  • 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
    ericl
    Yamaha CX-1000 or CX-2000. They show up on ebay and audiogon. Great sleeper preamp from circa 1991 with very impressive digital inputs for such an old pre. Sounds great, great phono stage, can be found for $200 or. Big sucker.
  • 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I'm not understanding what you are looking for. To my knowledge only a surround preamp would have optical inputs. A surround preamp will play stereo but it's not a dedicated stereo preamp as you stated.

Eric, is the Yamaha surround? Either way, I'd think the DAC's would be far behind todays digital technology.

That's an idea, if you don't want surround, you might see if there is a DAC on the market with multiple inputs and a variable output, or run the DAC into a passive stereo preamp.

If you want or don't mind a surround preamp, www.spearitsound.com has an Audio Refinement preamp new for around $795.00 with msrp of $1395.00.
  • 08-05-2006, 01:13 PM
    jalopez
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm not understanding what you are looking for. To my knowledge only a surround preamp would have optical inputs. A surround preamp will play stereo but it's not a dedicated stereo preamp as you stated.

I didn't know that stereo preamps didn't have optical inputs. I don't see why not.

That being said, I'm not averse to a surround sound amp. I just think that it's overkill given that I just need stereo.

I'll take a look at that used model you recommended. Thanks!
  • 08-05-2006, 01:51 PM
    Mr Peabody
    If by optical, you for sure mean digital optical, what would be the purpose of it for stereo? Using optical digital you need a digital to analog converter. Most digital sources have their own already built in, like CD players and most people do not listen to DVD or satelite/cable through just stereo. So what would be the purpose of putting a DAC in a stereo preamp?

What is it you are trying to do?
  • 08-26-2006, 09:18 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Hi, I found a Music Hall stereo receiver and integrated amp with a built in upsampling DAC that is the closest thing I've ran across to what you are looking for without going to a HT preamp. available. The integrated is a 50 wpc Class A design with retail of $1,300.00. You can find one at www.spearitsound.com used for $799.00. The receiver is 100 wpc with retail of $1,500.00, the same place has one for $999.00, I'm not sure if that's used or new. Unfortunately, they both only have 2 digital inputs, 1 optical and 1 coaxial. Both have detachable power cords and high quality TI volume controls and remotes.