AR Newbie Registered Member

ss amp ideas for tube pre & paradigm studio 100s

Hello,

I am, I hope, nearing the end of my quest for a 2-channel music-only system I can be real happy with for several years to come. A cornerstone of my system is my pair of Paradigm Studio Monitor 100s, V3. I am expecting to soon be in possession of a Primaluna Prologue Three tube preamp.

I am hoping to hear from some of you as to a good solid state amp recommendation for this setup. I currently have an Outlaw Audio RR2150 integrated and use it with a Technics 1210M5G (with an AT150MLX cartrdige) and and an Onkyo DX-7555 CD player.

I only recently turned back to vinyl and have come to the conclusion that I prefer analog to digital. As such, I am looking to get the tube preamp, and have begun selling off a good portion of my cd collection and putting my money into high quality vinyl pressing of my favorite recordings. In the category of favorites would be The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, offerings from STAX and Motown, The Who, Nirvana, Pavement, Beck and The White Stripes.

One problem I have encountered is clipping at the 2:30-3:00 position, only when I listen to certain albums. As the Paradigms take a lot of juice, I am pointing the finger at the Outlaw (granted, I don't regularly feel the need to blast music, but when that notion does strike me I would like to be able to do so without clipping).

I have a budget of $700 for a used amp. Something like an Odyssey Stratos seems like it might work, but I wonder if it would have enough drive and would afford headroom with the Paradigms. I have also thought about an old Bryston 4B (the SST model is out of my budget) and an Emotiva XPA-2. I defer to the experience of others in this regard, and would welcome any comments/suggestions!

Thanks,

Dennis

Suspended
    The first amp that comes to mind is an Adcom 555 or 5500, both 200x2 and ridiculously cheap used for what they can do. The Emotiva amps are a good idea and could offer more resolution but I sold my 5500 to a guy with older Studio 100's and it lit them up very well. Emotiva have new UPA monoblocks on the way with an introductory price of $279.00 each but will go up after they arrive.

www.spearitsound.com has a Stratos used and also a pair of B&K monoblocks which I believe are 250 watts and high current. It's the current you need. That's why the Adcom did a good job.

I would look for a used B&K amp as Mr P suggested above or B&K reference 200.2 or maybe a Vincent hybrid to give you a warmer sound to go with the Paradigms. B&K amps are bruits and have a warmer slightly darker sound.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Blackraven, I saw an A21 recently but didn't have the time for the guy to hook it up but it looked like a beast of an amp. I doubt you see those used under $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Blackraven, I saw an A21 recently but didn't have the time for the guy to hook it up but it looked like a beast of an amp. I doubt you see those used under $1k.

I really love the amp, especially paired with a tube pre and DAC. Its very smooth and detailed with excellent dynamics which is its best attribute, probably due to its dampening of greater than 1,000. I think its one of the better deals out there for about $2k.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks much for the suggestions!

If I am patient, I will wait (and wait, and wait....?) for a used McCormack DNA to show up. If not (more likely scenario) I have the Adcom 5500 and 5802 and the B&K 4420 and 200.2 on my short list.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dschwab
    Thanks much for the suggestions!

If I am patient, I will wait (and wait, and wait....?) for a used McCormack DNA to show up. If not (more likely scenario) I have the Adcom 5500 and 5802 and the B&K 4420 and 200.2 on my short list.

Thanks again.
    The Adcom 555II is also an nice, older amp, and huge bargain for about $400.

Suspended
    Did you follow that www.Spearitsound.com link? Under "used,demos & specials" they usually have some McCormack. May not be as cheap as used but they will allow a return if you aren't happy + the comfort of knowing you are dealing with a reputable company/seller..

I did follow, and subsequently bookmarked, the link to spearitsound.com. The only McCormack they have close to my budget is the DNA-125 and that is still hundreds more than I can part with right now. Bryston 4B NRB, and Adcom 5500 or 5802 still in the running. Thanks for the help.

Suspended
    I like the Adcom but I would take the Bryston over it.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You may want to consider Sim Audio - it seems to be a popular match with paradigm. I would try and stay away from bright power amps.

Thread Information