Forum Regular

Question speaker-to-receiver connection question

I have had this question in my mind for a while. I found this site today, and registered immediately. So, I finally let this one out of my chest.

I have a pair of 4-ohm impedance speakers that I wanna connect to my receiver(Aiwa AV-D57) for stereo playback. The receiver's user's manual mentions no information on a recommended speaker impedance range. The receiver came with a set of five speakers rated at 8 ohm. I know connecting a 4-ohm speaker will put more stress on the receiver, but I don't know if my receiver will handle it. I asked a guy at Aiwa technical support, and he said "the receiver will be OK, but we don't recommend that you connect them." What confuses me more is that the receiver's "set-up instruction" manual has a diagram of back panel of the receiver, which says "8ohm/4ohm" under the front speaker terminals. However, it only says "8ohm" on the actual back panel of the receiver. So, surely, the manual says it's OK to connect a 4-ohm speaker, but the receiver only says 8ohm speaker; that's an inconsistency in between product documentation and the actual product.

Generally, is it OK to do this? The receiver is like any home theater system ones with AM/FM tuner, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, and a bunch of connectors for other audio devices.

I can't wait till I try my speakers on this receiver, but I don't wanna risk the chance to mess up the receiver.

I would appreciate any comments.

John

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRealzG
    I have had this question in my mind for a while. I found this site today, and registered immediately. So, I finally let this one out of my chest.

I have a pair of 4-ohm impedance speakers that I wanna connect to my receiver(Aiwa AV-D57) for stereo playback. The receiver's user's manual mentions no information on a recommended speaker impedance range. The receiver came with a set of five speakers rated at 8 ohm. I know connecting a 4-ohm speaker will put more stress on the receiver, but I don't know if my receiver will handle it. I asked a guy at Aiwa technical support, and he said "the receiver will be OK, but we don't recommend that you connect them." What confuses me more is that the receiver's "set-up instruction" manual has a diagram of back panel of the receiver, which says "8ohm/4ohm" under the front speaker terminals. However, it only says "8ohm" on the actual back panel of the receiver. So, surely, the manual says it's OK to connect a 4-ohm speaker, but the receiver only says 8ohm speaker; that's an inconsistency in between product documentation and the actual product.

Generally, is it OK to do this? The receiver is like any home theater system ones with AM/FM tuner, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, and a bunch of connectors for other audio devices.

I can't wait till I try my speakers on this receiver, but I don't wanna risk the chance to mess up the receiver.

I would appreciate any comments.

John
    I don't think there will be a problem but; You might want to play at a modest level. When I tested it, my receiver happily played my 4 ohm speakers, but every time I went for a little more than a modest volume the protection circuits would cut in. If you have a decent receiver, the protection circuitry should make it all but impossible to damage it by a low impedance load.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your input, Geoff. I'll probably try the speakers when I get a new amp/receiver.

Forum Regular

Yeah...

I hooked 6 ohm's to my Sony 8/16 ohm reciever. Low volumes fine, crank it for a while and protection kicks in. If you don't have that feature I don't reccomend unless its at low volume

Thread Information