Forum Regular

SOURCE DIRECT button and when to use it?

I have Marantz SR6300 receiver and BW 601 S3 speakers with a ****ty CD player connected to receiver via RCA interconnects(analogue).

Since I can't hear difference with the SOURCE-DIRECT button ON and OFF I ask you good people what is the use of it?
    Is it for players connected digitally or WHAT else?
    Thanks
    Marko stifa@eunet.yu

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by STIFA
    I have Marantz SR6300 receiver and BW 601 S3 speakers with a ****ty CD player connected to receiver via RCA interconnects(analogue).

Since I can't hear difference with the SOURCE-DIRECT button ON and OFF I ask you good people what is the use of it?
    Is it for players connected digitally or WHAT else?
    Thanks
    Marko stifa@eunet.yu
    It bypasses the tone controls. If the tone controls don't affect the frequency response at the center position (which is not always the case!), then it's no surprise you can't hear a difference. The source direct's purpose is to not have the signal go through the tone controls, ostensibly to deliver a purer signal.

Why do you think your CD player is not very good?
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Just a quick follow up question? Aren't some "source direct", "direct-mode", "pure direct", etc, analog straight from the source through the receiver, without conversion???
    Or are they still being converted to digital first?

Also, I thought that some models incorporated these modes to by-pass not just tone controls, but all DSP processing circuitry too, so the path becomes essentially shorter and purer.

Likewise, on my RX-V1400 receiver, I can't hear a difference between Straight 2-channel and the pure direct mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Aren't some "source direct", "direct-mode", "pure direct", etc, analog straight from the source through the receiver, without conversion???
    Not necessarily, it depends on the manufacturer. On my PS Audio 4.6 pre, "Straightwire" bypassed all in-line gain and essentially turned it into a pure passive pre-amp, which is how I used it. Denon's "PureDirect" shuts down all of the video processing (it even shuts off the display to the receiver) and tries it's hardest to imitate a passive pre-amp if you're using analog. If you use digital inputs, Denon throws all 16(!) Burr/Brown DACs (8 per side) at the incoming signal and this makes a noticeable difference over normal Stereo or Direct modes. PureDirect used in this fashion creates an extremely smooth, very analog-like sound and will output in two channel only.

Also, I thought that some models incorporated these modes to by-pass not just tone controls, but all DSP processing circuitry too, so the path becomes essentially shorter and purer.
    "Shut-down" might be a better description than "bypass" as these modes are attempting to not only provide the shortest signal, but also the cleanest by shutting down unnecessary processing and thereby limiting possibilities of cross-talk.

Thread Information