sound familiar? anyone!

Printable View

• 04-26-2008, 12:29 AM
    budgetaudio76
    sound familiar? anyone!
    ever heard a kenwood ka 601? i think its from early 80s or so. i noticed one with a tuner for 35 dollars. im thinking maybe i should get it. but when i hooked it up to a speaker at the thrift shop, turng the knobs there was a lot of static noise. so not so certain about it probably wont last long there. so if ya heard it how did it sound to you.
  • 04-26-2008, 08:33 AM
    Mr Peabody
    You have to do some research on Kenwood. They made some very good integrated amps which were sold as a stand alone unit. In the 80's they also were major players during the rack system craze and to compete, to give people the illusion of buying all separates they had some of these systems with integrated amps and even some with separate preamp and power amp. Although these would be worth $35.00 without a doubt, they wouldn't be much better than a receiver in performance and may even be out done by some.

The KA-601 looks to be a "real" integrated and you should probably grab it at $35.00. The noise in the switches could probably be cleaned with some contact cleaner or a tech may not charge too much to give it a going over.

http://vintageaudio.com.au/Amps/Kenw...0Amplifier.htm
  • 04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
    budgetaudio76
    i feel like i lost a friend before i got to him. alas some one beat me to the punch on this one:17:
  • 04-28-2008, 02:52 AM
    Feanor
    Too bad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    i feel like i lost a friend before i got to him. alas some one beat me to the punch on this one:17:

After cleaning the knob contacts, and in otherwise good condition, leading-brand 60 watt amps of the era go for around $100 - $120 on eBay.