AR Newbie Registered Member

Searching for a power amp

I am currently looking for a nice amp to team up with my NAD t753. I have a magnum intergrated and absolutely love it, but much to my dismay, they no longer make poweramps. I have the Halo but am dissapointed with the build quality, sound, heat, and MADE IN TAIWAN. I am currently auditioning an ATI amp, well see how that goes.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You don;t supply a lot of info - so I can generally say look at Bryston or Rotel. The former is about as well built as it gets and 20 year transferable warranty. The latter will be cheaper and many think they are subjectively nicer sounding. Perhaps it will depend on the rest of the system - ATI I heard years ago and it seemed to be a good amp considering the relatively low price. But who's to say what the new ones are like could be better for all I know.

Forum Regular

You didn't like the Halo? That's a first for me

I had the A21s home for a few weeks and just loved them. A friend has replaced the Halcros with the JC1s after success with the A21. I've known half a dozen guys with ears who have all raved about the Halo stuff. I'd much rather have that than a Krell, Levinson, Bryston, or most others out there.

Are you sure your dissatisfaction with the sound/build quality didn't stem out of the "made in Taiwan" sticker on the box?
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Canuck!
    I agree the Halos sounded very good, especially for the price. The A21 is quite good, and the JC1's are amazing. I personally was disappointed to find out that they were made in Taiwan as well, but it doesn't mean it does not sound good (i wish the case were a bit tougher myself).

What i'd like to know is, where is the NAD made? As far as i know, all recent NAD products are made in Malaysia and China or something like that.

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'll second the Rotel/Bryston comments from RGA. I love my Rotel integrated...and I love every Bryston I've ever heard (and can't afford).
    For low budget high performance, Rotel is tough to beat, but I'd also throw Adcom out there. Solid bang-for-the-buck - I have 2 Adcom's connected to my receiver right now that replaced more expensive Parasound amps.
    Depending on the model, NAD's are built in several countries...I think my old 3140 is from Malaysia.

Rotel is very good for the $, although you can do better if you can spend much more money. If you are aiming to top the NAD amp section in the 753 I would shoot for 150-200wpc min. Here are some other SS names below that I've heard very good things about:
    Odyssey, aragon, classe, levinson, bryston, forte, musical fidelity, ps audio parasound.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The real question you have to ask is;

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Insanity
    I am currently looking for a nice amp to team up with my NAD t753. I have a magnum intergrated and absolutely love it, but much to my dismay, they no longer make poweramps. I have the Halo but am dissapointed with the build quality, sound, heat, and MADE IN TAIWAN. I am currently auditioning an ATI amp, well see how that goes.
    How much power do I want/need, and how much an I willing to spend. Once you answer that, then there's a lot of possibilities.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Good point Geoffcin...no sense in getting anyone's hopes up for a Bryston if they've been working hard to get $400 put away for a new amp...

Thread Information