Forum Regular

Can I split my sub out?

On my Yamaha RX-V1500 can I use an Y split RCA on my sub output to run two subs?

Forum Regular
    Sure you can, but it's going to cut the signal voltage in half. You will have to turn up the gain on your subwoofers, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Forum Regular
    or would i be better off 'daisy-chaining' them? or would it be the same either way? do you know what the signal voltage is on the yamaha 1500?

thanks for the reply

Forum Regular

I have NO idea what you mean by 'daisy-chaining' subwoofers

................ but it sounds like a REALLY BAD IDEA. Connecting speakers (or any other similar-components) in series is almost always a nightmare idea. Connecting speakers in Parallel is ALWAYS best.............

Quote Originally Posted by derekwwww
    or would i be better off 'daisy-chaining' them? or would it be the same either way? do you know what the signal voltage is on the yamaha 1500?
    If you use powered subs with line-in and line-out jacks, then you could try running the second one off the line output of the first one, if that is what you mean by daisy chaining. I would start with which approach takes the shortest cable runs.

rw

Forum Regular
    Yes I am going to be buying a 2 240 watt plate amps, each one powering a 12" Image Dynamics IDQ sub. It would take less cable to Y split then to daisy chain but the place I am buying the amps from says to use the low level input and output to daisy chain the amps for multiple amps. So I thought maybe that was the proper way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by derekwwww
    Yes I am going to be buying a 2 240 watt plate amps, each one powering a 12" Image Dynamics IDQ sub. It would take less cable to Y split then to daisy chain but the place I am buying the amps from says to use the low level input and output to daisy chain the amps for multiple amps. So I thought maybe that was the proper way to do it.
    That's not exactly what I meant. Some powered subs like mine contain an active crossover and are designed to be placed between a preamp and a power amp. The crossover feeds the internal bass amp and sends the unity gain line level back out to the power amp. Or to another powered sub.

With just sub cabinets and power amps, you'll need to Y the signal to each amp-speaker pair. Perhaps the plate amps can be bridged, but I would think driving each sub separately would be better.

rw

Thread Information