• 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM
    budgetaudio76
    sansui yaaa(hackhack clears throat)aaah
    oops smokers lung here. a couple of weeks ago i missed out on an kenwood integrated:cryin: . but i feel better, now that i found a sansui solid state 2000x. by all accounts it looks like a reciever. but it has a seperate pre amp and amp section inside the wood case(top bottom and sides). rated at 39 wpc. solid bass even at low volume. fully functional. no static in the knobs. i like knobs tweek them just so and you get a sound you just cant describe.:smilewinkgrin:. it has a pre out and a main in connected together with a bar of some kind. id like to utilize these perhaps the pre out for the subs just to experiment. dont really need subs for music. the monitor 9s do just fine with out them. how am i able to utilize the preout and main in function....preout is for seperate amp . but what is the main in? i read that it is midline sansui but it sounds great i guess i bought it for pretty much what it s worth 15 dollars. but if i were to buy one that nearly equals its performance. id have to spend many 100s of dollars with todays standards correct me if im wrong.
  • 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    but what is the main in?

The input to the power amplifier section. You can use either the preamp or the amplifier section separately. Normally, jumpers are run from the pre out to the main in to operate the unit together.

rw
  • 05-04-2008, 10:10 AM
    budgetaudio76
    certainly appreciate your reply e-stat was wondering why it had that jumper in there. i think ill bi amp my l/r peaks with this some how, ive got an idea but i need another y splitter. cant decide if i want this sansui for bass or the highs. i hear sansui designed these for a tube like sound. though i might be mistaken
  • 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Is this your amp? http://www.classicsansui.net/images/...2000XSales.jpg

One source says the 2000x has a tuner and it is rated at 140 watts. I hope that link works for you.

I found a Sansui AU-9500 and it convinced me that Sansui indeed built some excellent equipment by any standards. Like many companies that sold consumer electronics at various price points, not all Sansui is great. I got a little receiver for my brother and it had a nice warm sound but when comparing it side by side with a low power Luxman, which admittedly isn't fair, but it did show the Sansui lost a lot of detail. The 9500 on the other hand is incredible and I would match it against many of today's integrateds. At $15.00 you got a bargain which ever class it is. And, if it is 140 watts you got a steal.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/667992172.html
  • 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
    markw
    Those are not FTC watts.
    If you read that brocure a bit more carefully it boils down to about 40 wpc @ 8 ohms, and that's not too shabby.
  • 05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
    budgetaudio76
    thank you both for your repliew mr peabody and mark. you are both correct in the stated wattages. the 140 wpc is the maximum rated for short durations while the 40 wpc is sustained rms. now regarding the sound...the bass responce does seem to be slower than the harmon reciever i have not quite as tight but the overall sound is more pleasing to the ears. more of a natural sound than the harmon. harmon has a much dryer sound i dont know what that would mean but as close as i can describe it. i prefer how the sansui sounds. though it might be due to the fact that im using 14 guage sttranded with the sansui. will upgrade to the 12 solid as soon i can find a good place for the sasui. which brings to question. id like to use the lfe output on my harmon into the main inon the sansui so i can by amp my paradigms. as well as running pre out from it to my powered subs. and im wondering do i get a splitter so i can use both the main in and the linelevel connections. the harmon has small speaker cross over settings. or if i do that will i get sound from one and not the other. would be nice if i could use photos. to give a better idea of what i have in mind.
  • 05-05-2008, 11:56 PM
    pixelthis
    Funny that they brag about IC'S in the amps, thats a no-no these days.
    Dont know why you'd seperate the two, I'd hook up a pair of speakers for an
    inexpensive audio only system, would certainly sound as least as good as whats out there today.
    Sansui was the BOMB back then :1:
  • 05-06-2008, 04:04 AM
    emaidel
    While I was in the service (1968-1971) I purchased a Sansui 4000 and thought it was nothing short of wonderful. Prior to being drafted, I had purchased a Lafayette LR-1500TA (I worked for Lafayette prior to and after my military service) which had received a "Best Buy" rating in Consumer Reports, and some decent reviews in other audio mags. I thought it was a superb receiver - until I came home with the Sansui which, frankly, at the Lafayette unit's lunch. The 2000 was the 4000's "little brother."
  • 05-06-2008, 07:05 AM
    budgetaudio76
    what is it about the ic's, is it they bring in noise? i have it in the living room connected to the main speakers. dont have much choice. ive got a pair of infinity rsa speaks ill connect it to after i refoam them. cant wait too hear it in that getup. emaidel perhaps they are the same sonically. just aliitle more power with the 4000. music is recreated with some aplomb with the sansui(i always think of including yaaaaaah when i type sansui go figure) when compared with the harmon. now i like the harmon as well plays louder than i care to listen to when watching movies. with music as well. it has high current capabilities as well. i just gotta turn the volume knob to almost 3 quarters to get same loudness compared with the sansui. which is plenty loud at quarter turn of the dial.
  • 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    what is it about the ic's, is it they bring in noise? i have it in the living room connected to the main speakers. dont have much choice. ive got a pair of infinity rsa speaks ill connect it to after i refoam them. cant wait too hear it in that getup. emaidel perhaps they are the same sonically. just aliitle more power with the 4000. music is recreated with some aplomb with the sansui(i always think of including yaaaaaah when i type sansui go figure) when compared with the harmon. now i like the harmon as well plays louder than i care to listen to when watching movies. with music as well. it has high current capabilities as well. i just gotta turn the volume knob to almost 3 quarters to get same loudness compared with the sansui. which is plenty loud at quarter turn of the dial.

Discrete is the buzz word these days, which means seperate parts like transistors,
    etc, instead of all on a chip.
    i wouldnt worry, the IC'S used in the Sansui are probably not used in the main amp
    section, main reason being that IC chips back then couldnt handle the power.
    Today cheap HTIB and receivers use amps on a chip to save money, and their performance is anything but good :1:
  • 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
    budgetaudio76
    i bought a reciever with discrete channels a short while ago. a sherwood from radio shack. 100 wpc. i thought hey thats neat. considering my budget i bought it. man i turned up the volume to half way that things protection mode clicked in and turned off the system. when ever i looked inside it. it had puny transistors all the way around. looked like nothing but circuit board with nearly rice grain sized transistors on it. biggest thing in there was the power supply. other wise it was 90 percent free space with circuit board on the bottom. i guess you get what ya pay for. i returned it befor the 30 day policy came up. bought a marantz system for 40 dollars as a trade off. on the other hand my hk reciever has 5 channels discrete but its a solid reciever.