• 06-21-2008, 07:51 PM
    thekid
    Sansui 7900Z Acquired
    Got one of these today in a trade.
    Initial impressions are very favorable.
    Anyone familiar with it?
  • 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
    budgetaudio76
    sure havent. could ya tell us about it? some pics would be nice.

so what are youre impressions of it?
    if you like vintage audio audiokarma is a great site for it. you could find more info on the 7900z over there. would be nice if there were a stronger vintage threads here. other than that alot of people here have alot of information.
  • 06-27-2008, 03:48 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    sure havent. could ya tell us about it? some pics would be nice.

so what are youre impressions of it?
    if you like vintage audio audiokarma is a great site for it. you could find more info on the 7900z over there. would be nice if there were a stronger vintage threads here. other than that alot of people here have alot of information.

I hooked it up to an old pair of Bose 201 II's and it sounded very good and picked up a lot of channels despite the fact I was using just a 6" piece of speaker wire as an antena.

I just got back in town but will try to post pics. I refer to it as a missing link because it is part analog and part digital. Cool displays! It was built in 81 and was on the end of when Sansui gear was still considered pretty decent. I am thinking of hooking it up to the Genesis speakers i just picked up once I re-foam them. It will be a fairly nice semi-vintage set-up since the speakers date from 1975.
  • 06-27-2008, 06:24 AM
    Feanor
    Are you talkin' about this?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Got one of these today in a trade.
    Initial impressions are very favorable.
    Anyone familiar with it?

Is it this vintage 1976-79 integrated that you got? Could be a very nice unit. I've never owned Sansui, but today they are considered a "premium" vintage brand along with Marantz, Kenwood, and Pioneer in particular.

I love the looks of the pre-'80 equipment. I prefer the knogs and flip switches to the later push buttons, not to mention the sliders (ugh! :frown2: ) the were popular for awhile in the '80s.
  • 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Is it this vintage 1976-79 integrated that you got? Could be a very nice unit. I've never owned Sansui, but today they are considered a "premium" vintage brand along with Marantz, Kenwood, and Pioneer in particular.

I love the looks of the pre-'80 equipment. I prefer the knogs and flip switches to the later push buttons, not to mention the sliders (ugh! :frown2: ) the were popular for awhile in the '80s.

Feanor- Thanks for the bump!

Unfortunately it is from 81 and from what I have read it is one of the last good years of vintage Sansui. When I saw 7900 on the front I was hoping it was of the era you mention but it is a close second and the sound is very good.

I am bugging my daughter to take pics for me but if you go over to the Sansui Forum on AK (sorry guys....) you can see a post/photo ofthe model I have.

This really is a missing link with a pretty good combination of analog/digital read outs as well as knobs and buttons. Not crazy about the button volume and channel control but it has a really cool blue/green light display.