Thread: Rotel RB-1050

Forum Regular

Rotel RB-1050

I'm new to the home audio world appart from what's available at your local big box store, but I know what sounds good and it's 2 channel audio for me. I recently bought a set of B&W 601's to start with and am currently pairing them to an older technics SU-V8X amp and slightly more modern SL-PD888 5 disc changer. This has worked for me till now, but it's time to make the switch to a dedicated 2 channel amp.

I was looking at the Rotel RB-1050, actually reviews of it and it seems like it'd be a good choice. I'd EVENTUALLY be pairing it to a Rega Apollo source as my current technics is well, junk. How would this system perform. I listened to the speakers on all Rega components at the store and they sounded amazing.

Also, whats up with pre-amps, tube amps and all this other stuff? Hurts my brain now, but is it something I should seriously consider now, or is it something I can add on later for better performance?

well, if you want the rotel, you must have a preamp, you can't run it from the rega, the rotel is a power amp, which means that all you can do is press the power button. You do want to do this, cd player (and other sources) to preamp/processor to power amp,
    if i'm not mistaking, the technics is an integrated amp, which means that it is a preamp and a power amp in one, when you buy the rotel rb 1050 you will need a preamp because the rotel is only a power amp.

you can also get a new integrated amp (like you have now, but newer and better) or when the technics haves pre-outs, you can connect the rotel to the technics and use the technics as preamp and then save for a better preamp.

hope this helped,
    Basite
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

oh yeah, if u buy the rotel, be sure NOT to crank the volume up to max or something, Rotel amps are high current amps, which means that 70 watts per channel is alot of power, so much that you'll probably be deaf when you turn the volume up halfway (not deaf, but it will be really loud)
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

The RB-1050 Poweramp is an excellent choice, but you will also want to purchase a pre-amp such as the Rotel RC-1070. Another option would be to purchase a receiver such as the RX-1052, or an integrated amp such as the RA-1062, then use the pre-outs to connect your Poweramp.

If you do require video switching, you may want to consider a receiver such as the RSX-1057, or a pre-amp such as the RSP-1068, though these are ideally suited for surround sound home theatre.

I have one that I'm selling.
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....cvr&1164256929
    Rotel rates it 100watts per channel when you use 2, instead of 5. I really enjoyed it with my B&W Signature 805, but I'm into tube amps now.
    If you are interested let me know.
    If you choose to go pre/pro then great, you wont be disappointed with Rotel. Rotel and B&W are partners in business. They will perform superbly together.

Good luck,

golden ear
    i agree. rotel makes really really good power amps and CD players and they would sound very good with just about any speaker brands for as long as you will be supplying with sufficient power...for best performance, B&W speakers would best fit...although i personally would prefer paradigm reference series to go with them.

the rb1050 is good and if its mono bridgeable, you can add another one of that later one for a dual mono config system...this would make your system really sing.

No matter how you choose to control that amp, trust me it will rock, big time. Lots
    of headroom, well made, top notch electronics, rotel stuff is priced lower that most
    higher end amps, but don't let that worry ya, they can and do hold there own with
    ANYTHING out there, Good luck, and CRANK IT.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII