Forum Regular

PowAMP RMS > Speakers

Hello all,

I am looking at a fabulous deal on a stereo power amp, but the only problem is the RMS wattage is a little excessive for what I'm using. The amp is 500wpc RMS @ 4ohm stereo and 250wpc RMS @ 8ohm. My application for this amp would be either 4ohm speakers that take 150wpc or 8ohm that handle 100wpc. Would I still be able to use this amp by simply keeping the gain very low?

thanks

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    By all means go ahead and get the amp. As long as you don't overdo it with the volume you should be okay. Your speakers will likely let you know audibly when they're being driven too hard anyway. More power is better than not enough, in the latter case you can more quickly damage speakers from amplifier clipping.

Forum Regular
    awesome..thanks..i just got the amp for 53 + 24sh = 77.
    It's a GEM SOUND EXA-2950 Stereo Power amp. I'm sure that will make some of you here (most perhaps) vomit uncontrollably but I really just need something to push speakers for events like weddings, etc. I also needed an amp to push 2 4ohm 10" subs as I'm using those in my home theater (more vomiting may ensue). I was using a TEAC 100wpc amp but after having it connected to the 4ohm subs for a few years I'm sure that did it in. I'm quite sure it was intended for only 8ohm loads.

thanks!

Thread Information