Parasound A21 or A23?

Hello anyone interested in reading...

I am curious to hear some thoughts about the following situation. Right now I am powering my PSB Platinum T6's with a Parasound Halo A23, which has been a great combination, but I am also quite aware that my speakers are in need of a bit more power to really open them up further. So I am considering the two options at this point before the day when I have my high-end Classe amp. Until then here's the two options:

Buy another matching A23 amp and use 1 amp per speaker, which would give me 400watts RMS into one channel vs. the current 200watts/channel in stereo mode.

Or

Buy the A21 amp, which can be driven in stereo at 400 watts/channel. This option is a bit more costly because the cost of getting this would be about $1400 instead of paying $500 for the A23. Also by doing this option I am left with a spare A23, which I suppose I could either sell to make up the difference or I could integrate it into my system elsewhere, such as the surrounds.

My biggest question in this matter is whether 2 Halo A23's are equal to 1 Halo A21. Anyone have some thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Hello anyone interested in reading...

I am curious to hear some thoughts about the following situation. Right now I am powering my PSB Platinum T6's with a Parasound Halo A23, which has been a great combination, but I am also quite aware that my speakers are in need of a bit more power to really open them up further. So I am considering the two options at this point before the day when I have my high-end Classe amp. Until then here's the two options:

Buy another matching A23 amp and use 1 amp per speaker, which would give me 400watts RMS into one channel vs. the current 200watts/channel in stereo mode.

Or

Buy the A21 amp, which can be driven in stereo at 400 watts/channel. This option is a bit more costly because the cost of getting this would be about $1400 instead of paying $500 for the A23. Also by doing this option I am left with a spare A23, which I suppose I could either sell to make up the difference or I could integrate it into my system elsewhere, such as the surrounds.

My biggest question in this matter is whether 2 Halo A23's are equal to 1 Halo A21. Anyone have some thoughts???
    Not sure if I would bridge your A23 with the 4ohm load that the PSB's have. Most amps do not like this. However I would consider passively bi-amping. This would give the mid/high and lows their own amp channels and should really open things up. When we bi-amp in theaters it really makes a big difference. Bass tightens up a good deal along with the mids opening up quite a bit.

I would skip the A21 being you will probably be getting the Classe in the future. This would probably help you get the Classe quicker. While still being able to do a nice upgrade.

On a side note I just picked up some B25's for a steal of 195.00 brand new and they are very nice indeed.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks for the help. I am being a bit impatient and want to drive these babies, but I must wait patiently as my ultimate goal is to drive them with Classe monoblocks, which is the way that I first heard these speakers about 2 years ago and they were incredible. The Parasound amp certainly drives them well, but nowhere near what the Classe amps can do, let alone the monoblocks!!! Maybe i'll just keep saving my money and hopefully by the end of this year I will have the funds.

Thread Information