nightflier

Recommendations for an amp to match B&K Preamp

I just purchased a B&K PT3 series II preamp as one of the components of a mid-fi setup for music listening. I also have a pair of MB Quart QLS-830 speakers and a Monitor Audio sub that will handle the filtering to the speakers. For a source I'm using an older Cambridge Audio CD player. I'm on a bit of a budget so I don't have a lot of money to spend on a pricey amp, but I want to try to squeeze as much out of these components as I can. I don't mind purchasing a used amp.

I'm looking for an amp that will work well with the B&K and that will excell in the mids, in a warm way. I know sound preference is subjective, but I thought I would ask. I've been looking at the Parasound classic series amps as well as the Adcoms. My price is $500-800 (I know that's tight) but I don't need to drive the speakers very loud. I'm just looking for clarity and being able to localise the sounds in complex compositions.

Try a used Bryston amp, they are quite warm and lush. Also how about a B&K amp?

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    nightflier,
    I found out the hard way when trying power my MBQ S830. I would be very careful on the amp selection. Everything that doesn't indicate it'll will drive 4 ohm speaker with low THD I won't even bother with it. For now I found NAD powered the MBQ S830 just right. But that's just me. Its almost the most affordable amp in your budget. Look into NAD C272

nightflier

Bryston

I've heard good things about their amps, but they aren't exactly widely sold. I know where I can find them new, but other than audiogon, any other places that might be selling these second hand?

Audiogon is not the only place to look for used Adcom, Rotel, B&K or other high quality amps. I have purchased from these places.
    www.tsto.com The Stereo Trading Outlet
    www.tfta.com Toys From The Attic
    www.stereoclassics.com Stereo Classics (many Mac components)
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Might I suggest this HCA2? I used to own B&K and think this would work really well with B&K's warmer sound. IMO, this combination could be thisclose to a high quality tube set-up, if that's what you like (it's my preference). If you want a more in your face presentation or something with a little more brilliance in upper regions, you might look for a Adcom or Odyssey amp.

Hope this helps.

nightflier

Hca-2

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Might I suggest this HCA2? I used to own B&K and think this would work really well with B&K's warmer sound. IMO, this combination could be thisclose to a high quality tube set-up, if that's what you like (it's my preference). If you want a more in your face presentation or something with a little more brilliance in upper regions, you might look for a Adcom or Odyssey amp.

Hope this helps.
    Are you referring to the PS Audio HCA-2? Isn't that a digital amp? Not that it's a bad thing, but that's getting up there in cost for me, unless I can find one second-hand somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    My price is $500-800
    Did you check the link? This one is $700obo. Isn't that within your range?

nightflier

Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Did you check the link? This one is $700obo. Isn't that within your range?
    ...it sold.

I'm on the lookout for another, though. I've read so much good stuff about this amp, that I owe it to myself to find one. Right now, it's a toss-up between B&K amps (everyone tells me they sound great and match up well), and the PS Audio HCA-2 that is also getting great reviews.

At that price, I'm not surprised it didn't last long. However, when I posted the link, there were also two other HCA's available. Check back at audiogon often as there is usually one for sale. I'm not sure how transparent your Axiom's are, but my trusty B&K ST140 which had served me well for 15 years, was a horrible match with my (then new) B&W CDM 7NT's. They revealed a slight graininess that I had never noticed with my previous Missions. Now, clearly I realize B&K has likely improved their amps since then but if they kept the same sonic signature, you can expect a warm, slightly rounded presentation not unlike tubes.

Good luck in your search. They are both good amps so you really can't go wrong either way.

Thread Information