Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Recommendations for a $200-$300 amp?

My mom and dad just bought a set of used Mission tower speakers (really nice, don't know the model # definitiely not their cheaper line) from their divorcing neighbors. Mom wants to run them upstairs in the house, but she's only got an Yamaha RX-V800 HT receiver downstairs to power them. They'll be willing to spend $200-$300 for an amp if they'll get a decent improvement in the sound quality, otherwise they'll just use the "B" outputs on the receiver. Any recommendations or for this money is there just not decent options?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    My mom and dad just bought a set of used Mission tower speakers (really nice, don't know the model # definitiely not their cheaper line) from their divorcing neighbors. Mom wants to run them upstairs in the house, but she's only got an Yamaha RX-V800 HT receiver downstairs to power them. They'll be willing to spend $200-$300 for an amp if they'll get a decent improvement in the sound quality, otherwise they'll just use the "B" outputs on the receiver. Any recommendations or for this money is there just not decent options?
    Check e-bay or audiogon for a used B&K like the ST140. I sold my ST140 for $250 about 6 months ago. Terrific amps, the original Giant Killer and dead reliable. They are a warm sounding amp, warmer than your Rotel, and do a great job mating with Mission's sometimes aggressive treble. I had mine driving Mission 780a Argonauts (flagship floorstanders) for 15 years without a hitch and it was a match made in heaven.

Of course, the real question is do your parents care enough to notice the difference? Because if they can't or don't care, what's the point?

Well, since you've read my other post, my dad was with me during my little "Yammie receiver vs. Rotel experiment". He'd like something better than his Yamaha receiver. I offered him my RX-V795a, the predecessor to his 800 but he insists on a power amp. Rotels don't stay available for sale very long so he's looking at other options, new or used. I think they'd be happy with 80 watts per channel or more. Since he's retired from the army he's really taking up the computers/electronics stuff, gets right into it. It's kind of funny, but I'll encourage it, we have fun shopping. Thanks for the recommendation.

Poke around this site for a while. Odds are you'll find something of interest.

Pay particular attention to the used, demo and deals pages.

I've dealt with these guys several times before and will do so again.

Say "hi" to Randy for me.

markw, what site?

kexodusc, I don't know how efficient these speakers are but try ebay and audiogon for rotel, nad, b&k, creek, amc, adcom, marantz, etc... an integrated is a good low cost option, here's a good site for refurb NAD amps with 1yr warr, example, they have the c320bee for $279....

http://www.yawaonline.com/amplifiers.html

The missing link...

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Poke around this site for a while. Odds are you'll find something of interest.

Pay particular attention to the used, demo and deals pages.

I've dealt with these guys several times before and will do so again.

Say "hi" to Randy for me.
    Try http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Sorry 'bout that, chief

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I may be wrong but if you use the pre outs on the Yam I think that would bypass the amps in the rxv 800.So if she is running 2 pairs (one downstairs and one up) the pair downstairs would not have anything driving them..IMO The amps in the Yamaha should do just fine for this application..Does she plan on running both pairs at the same time?

46minaudio: No, they're just running 1 pair at a time. The speakers downstairs aren't full range and aren't great for music playback. You might be right about the pre-outs neutralizing the yammie's amp. I never thought of that, neither did dad, better go test that tonight. Might have to use the Yammie after all, or upgrade to something with a bigger power supply. Thanks.

kexodusc Here is another option..

http://ww2.onecall.com/ProductDispla...roductID=23374

Use one pair for upstairs and one for down..With this option a volume control for both sets would be required..There are other multi ch amps with volume controls for each ch,but not at this price...I still think the amps in the rxv 800 are good enough to drive the Missions...

Update: We gave the RX-v800 a chance, and it did in fact seem more than adequate. Funny thing is Dad was actually a little disappointed, and really looking forward to "upgrading" his system. Maybe my retired father has the audio bug? They'll have to remember to disengage the upstairs speakers when playing movies but they should be good. Now he's asking me if the dedicated amp would be much better sounding. I think a bit, but at this point their system needs a better subwoofer or a something else than an amp upstairs. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information