Receivers line frequency response

My current receiver says that for CDs DVDs, VCR, etc has a frequency response of 20hz to 20kHz +/- 1db but I wanted to know that will a receiver that is like the Sherwood RX-4105 or 4109 be better sounding since they go from 10hz to 100kHz +/- 3db? I just wanted to know that it is worth getting the new receiver that has more wider frequency response.

Both receivers have 40hz to 20kHz with 0.08% THD

But the line input like CD, VCR, etc is only from 20hz to 20kHz +/- 1db on mine and the Sherwood has 10hz to 100kHz +/- 3db.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    It seems to me that manufacturer JVC specified a 40Hz lower limit in order to achieve your receiver's 100 watt output rating. This does not mean it will not reproduce frequencies below that point, judging by the 20Hz response claimed for the input sources. This is not unusual with budget amps and receivers, where output is specified at less taxing frequencies.

I would not sweat the details anyway. You're talking about frequencies approaching the infrasonic (more popularly called subsonic) range, which is inaudible to humans. Unless you listen to pipe organ music (like I do), its unlikely you are going to hear any difference between the two units on most music. Popular music by and large does not have much if any bass content below about 40Hz. Also, If you can hear frequencies over 20kHz or even 100kHz, more power to you. My upper hearing limit is just a hair under 14kHz.
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Carr
    My current receiver says
    Those specifications are meaningless in the real world because there are so many more variables which affect sound quality. You'll need to actually compare another receiver in your system to determine if it sounds better.

rw

Music I listen to which is mostly bass tester songs will go low as 20hz or less if so. I got some CDs like It came from outerbass II and Illegal Bass so those really play low bass. Mosty I listen to those songs. I do listen to other songs too like Justin Bieber but most of the time I listen to those bass tester songs.

Music I listen to which is mostly bass tester songs will go low as 20hz or less if so. I got some CDs like It came from outerbass II and Illegal Bass so those really play low bass. Mosty I listen to those songs. I do listen to other songs too like Justin Bieber but most of the time I listen to those bass tester songs.
    Most of those CD's were made for car audio sound off competitions and to see how loud the bass is in a car audio system. Most home speakers were not designed with this in mind and were designed to produce music at a balanced output and natural sound of the music itself and not to boom your head off with bass. I am not by any means saying anything bad about your tastes in music or what you listen to because that is your decision but I do know for a fact that home stereo components are not built with these kinds of CD's in mind like the sound off car audio systems are. If that is the sound you are looking for in your home audio and that is what you mostly listen to then you are probably going to have to either get pro sound equipment which is meant to be played loud and has bigger more bass heavy speakers or custom build something with the music you listen to in mind.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Most of those CD's were made for car audio sound off competitions and to see how loud the bass is in a car audio system. Most home speakers were not designed with this in mind and were designed to produce music at a balanced output and natural sound of the music itself and not to boom your head off with bass. I am not by any means saying anything bad about your tastes in music or what you listen to because that is your decision but I do know for a fact that home stereo components are not built with these kinds of CD's in mind like the sound off car audio systems are. If that is the sound you are looking for in your home audio and that is what you mostly listen to then you are probably going to have to either get pro sound equipment which is meant to be played loud and has bigger more bass heavy speakers or custom build something with the music you listen to in mind.

I was wondering about those disks, maybe he needs to get a car and scrap the home audio, or build a car system in his house.

Hey Harley dudes rebuild their bikes in the living room over the winter, why not get a little Prius in the house and add several Subs?

Music I listen to which is mostly bass tester songs will go low as 20hz or less if so.
    Not with those little pissant speakers you so love you don't.
    Last edited by markw; 05-10-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Mutant from table 9

This is awesome. Truely, truely awesome.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information