Which Receivers

Printable View

• 01-12-2007, 07:37 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Which Receivers
    I need help on deciding which Receiver to buy since my old one shut down. I can see here are two good receiver for just music listening but I am trying to decide which is better out of the two. The Sony one has Energy Star which is good and plus more power I see but the Onkyo has a ohms selector so I can hook up speakers that are 4 ohms or less. But I guess what I need to know if out of the two which has better and more clear sound.

Sony STR-DE197
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INT..._HiFiReceivers

Onkyo TX-8222
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
  • 01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
    aevans
    I like the onkyo, they sound better to me.
  • 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
    Mr Peabody
    My opinion the Sony wouldn't compare to the Onkyo. The Onkyo has a much better amp section and even though the Sony may have a higher power rating, if you could hear them side by side you'd think the Onkyo was more powerful. Onkyo will have a much more solid sound and delivery. The Onkyo's high current output will also drive speakers that may present it a more difficult load.where the Sony would be on it's knees.
  • 01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Hey there Mr. Bamboo Forest,

Onkyo has IPOD enhancement capability, so go with that..
    Energy Star is good and all, but I would stay away from it. It's just another sticker SONY decided to purchase to persuade some buyers. It's audio, dont be afraid to pay $0.50 more on your monthy power-bill.
  • 01-12-2007, 09:05 PM
    blackraven
    Onkyo all the way! Just compare the Freq response. The onkyo is 10Hz-20000 and the Sony is 40-2000. Besides, onkyo makes nice equipment in the lower end market, much better than sony IMHO.
  • 01-13-2007, 08:42 AM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Can I connect speakers that are 4 ohms to the Onkyo receiver I was talking about without having problems.
  • 01-13-2007, 08:47 AM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Also is there only 50 watts for putting both speakers meaning 25 each speaker??
  • 01-13-2007, 09:02 AM
    Mr Peabody
    The Onkyo will be able to handle a 4 ohm load easy enough. If it says 50 per channel, each speaker will receive up to 50 watts if you ever go up to full power.
  • 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM
    blackraven
    You shouldn't have any problem with 4ohm speakers as long as your not talking about inefficeint speakers like Magnepan with low S/N ratio's. Then you may have a problem with the receiver over heating.
  • 01-13-2007, 11:30 AM
    SpankingVanillaice
    So if my speakers are 100 watts and are 8 ohms will it work perfectly fine and will it go as loud as my speakers can go clearly? I will keep my JBL HLS410 and they are 100 watts and 8 ohms.
  • 01-13-2007, 12:19 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Why I am asking this is since someone told me that if you had a speaker that is rated 100watts then you need a 200 watt amp to made good clear sound. Since it will distort when its loud with a amp that is 100 or less since my speakers are 100 watts.
  • 01-14-2007, 07:53 AM
    N. Abstentia
    That someone is a complete moron. Get the freaking Onkyo.
  • 01-14-2007, 08:56 AM
    Mr Peabody
    All amps have their limits and as long as you stay with in them you will be fine. The Onkyo will have more drive and stay cleaner longer.

How much power you need is more dependent on the speakers sensitivity and your room size, and I guess also on how loud you want to go. The higher the sensitivity the louder the speaker will play.
  • 01-14-2007, 08:57 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    That someone is a complete moron. Get the freaking Onkyo.

yes, that somebody IS a moron,
    get the onkyo!!

some people just won't listen to what other people say, and they won't learn.