Question receiver questions

i have these advent speakers (see image below) and my yamaha rx-v590rds died (for the second time), now i'm sick of it and i'm planning to buy a new stereo Receiver, now i was thinking of this denon dra-455 (http://www.denon.de/site/frames_main...n=detail&Pid=4)
    but i'm a bit afraid that it's a bit 'light' (52watt @8 ohms) so again, i'm asking your opinion.

the advents's surroundings once rotted away so we replaced the speaker with a 12" sphinx sub (i don't exactly know the max watts), the receiver you see there is a 1980 kenwood kr-730 with 2x 42watts @8 ohm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails receiver questions-img_0199.jpg  

Suspended
    I believe the Denon would be a good stereo receiver for you. Don't let the 52 wpc rating bother you. Sometimes a good 50 wpc amp will blow away some of these 100 wpc ones. It depends on how good the unit is. I went with my son some years ago to buy his first receiver, he was about t buy a Pioneer (100x2) when the guy turned on a 48x2 Onkyo, the Onkyo blew that Pioneer out of the water. The Onkyo was actually a bit more expensive. A vintage stereo Harmon Kardon would be a terrific receiver as well.

I would suggest your next move should be to buy some better speakers. It's very difficult to pop a replacement driver into a box and have it sound right, especially without doing some careful cross referencing for a match to the blown one. For future reference you can have a woofer re-coned for probably around $50.00. I had some Infinity Kappa 12" woofers re-coned and they were good as new. My brother has them now, they are still rocking after several years on the repair. If you have a small budget, the Athena line is very reasonable and get good rap.

thnx, the speakers aren't that bad actually, for their price, they actually sound really good. Once (when i have space and money), i will buy myself a new set of speakers, but i will use the advents as a second system till they fall apart! i might replace the woofers in the advents with better ones.

If i had loads of money i'd buy some new good speakers, but i'm a student and all the money i have is the money i get, which isn't enough to find a new speaker that is better than my advents.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Post moving on...

it's my birthday in a couple of days, and i changed my mind again, this time, definatly, i'm not going for the dra 455 anymore, the thing that it was not a real improvement for what i have now had i thing to do in it and the sentence on the back of the back that scares almost anyone 'made in china' was the thing that made me think twice. Anyways. Now i'm going for the denon PMA-700ae, an integrated amp, which i think, is better. After that i'm going to save some money to do upgrades later (years later), since it haves a pre-out, i'm thinking to spend the saved money on a power amp and hook that up to the integrated amp.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    not sure what your budget is but Music Hall makes an interesting looking stereo receiver and an integrated. They have that old school look that might compliment your Advents.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...tegrated%20Amp

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...reo%20Receiver

Audioadvisor usually has demo models of these that are significantly discounted. I like your idea of an integrated amp. I have several tuners I picked for cheap that I like to rotate.

BTW, Happy Birthday!

well...about the speakers... there are always speakers to fit any budget... i myself am in high school, and am very poor, lol so, check out the paradigm atoms (for quality sound) and maybe some cerwin vegas or something of that sort if your into pure volume

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    well...about the speakers... there are always speakers to fit any budget... i myself am in high school, and am very poor, lol so, check out the paradigm atoms (for quality sound) and maybe some cerwin vegas or something of that sort if your into pure volume
    i know that feeling *being a student isn't great, financial speaking*, thnx for the advice, speakers are on the wish list, when i have space for them, which is not the case right now, advents are something special, especially in europe, they are/ were inexpensive and yet they give an incredible sound, but i will once replace them with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    BTW, Happy Birthday
    thnx, in 4 days i will be 16 years old, which makes me a student , music hall int amp and receiver look good and probably sound as good as they look, but... they are a bit over my budget.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

update: if i ever buy new speakers (which i intend to do in a couple of years (when i'm 18 or so) they will probalby be from b&w and it's a serious chance that they will be the new cm7's

the denon int amp is ordered and will probably arrive next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails receiver questions-bw0704.jpg  
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Talking it arrived!!

amplifier arrived, turned it on, (changed the place of speakers and rest of setup for the best result in my room), played a cd, THIS THING ROCKS!!! compared to the kenwood kr-730 this thing is a huge improvement! with only 8watts difference this thing blows away my dads yamaha with 100watts/ch (maybe the higher current haves something to do with it)
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE