Forum Regular

Worth buying an equalizer for my system?

Recently I've been thinking about buying a 7 band equalizer or similar for my stereo system. I don't know much about equalizers, though. It would be connected to an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver. It sounds good for the money, but obviously it isn't high end, so I'm wondering if spending a couple hundred bucks on an equalizer would boost the sound quality significantly or would be a waste of money.

If it is worth it, what would be a good choice for an equalizer?

i dont know which eq's would make for a good recommendation, but i do know that a properly eq'ed room will sound vastly better than one that is not.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    if you do want an EQ and are going to spend 2 hundred bucks you may as well get something nice: a 31 band 1/3 octave like this would do the trick: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/257851.html
    or check out the rest of the selection, though its usually good to stay away from berheringer and samson products.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

Forum Regular
    I'm certainly willing to spend $200 bucks or more if it really will make a noticeable difference. My problem is that I have zero experience with equalizers and have no idea how much of a difference one really will make. My the way, my stereo system is in a very small room, which I think is hindering its performance somewhat. The room is like, 150 sq ft.

Forum Regular
    EQing a room can have great effects on sound quality, but it takes a lot of skill to do it correctly. what kind of speakers, amp and source do you have? I am going to bet spending money on something other than an eq will improve your sound a lot more.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

Forum Regular
    My speakers are JBL E80s. My receiver is an Onkyo tx-8511. I have an Onkyo C390 6 disc changer, and an 8" Yamaha subwoofer to complement the JBLs. It's not an expensive system by any means, but I did my research, and it sounds pretty great for the money. I'd probably have to spend A LOT more for any kind of improvement. That's why I was thinking about getting an equalizer. I figured it would be the most cost effective way to improve the sound.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    Recently I've been thinking about buying a 7 band equalizer or similar for my stereo system. I don't know much about equalizers, though. It would be connected to an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver. It sounds good for the money, but obviously it isn't high end, so I'm wondering if spending a couple hundred bucks on an equalizer would boost the sound quality significantly or would be a waste of money.

If it is worth it, what would be a good choice for an equalizer?
    What don't you like about the sound of your system ? An equalizer may help tweak the tonal quality of the sound to your liking but is not going to result in any real and significant improvement in sound quality. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. For real improvement in sound quality you need better components that are properly matched. With the components you have I would not waste money on too expensive an EQ. Just get something modest. I've owned a number of EQs and as the quality of my components improved I found that my need for the use of equalization (and tone controls) decreased. In fact, I found that the EQ and tone controls were doing more harm than good. Just my $.02.

Forum Regular
    I bought an Onkyo 8211 (50 wpc) when I was a Sophomore in high school, about 9 years ago. Shortly after I bought it a was at Circuit City and saw a Kenwood 7 band eq. It was originally something like 79.99 but this was a refurbished model and was only 29.99. I decided to try it out and see what sort of difference it would make. I went home and hooked it up. The difference was amazing. Before the eq it just sounded really lifeless and weak. I have never used this receiver without it since. I still use this receiver to listen to my vinyl collection. I have been more than happy with my purchase and obviously this was just a cheap equalizer. I am not familiar with higher quality units so I can't comment there. I will agree with other people that an eq will not technically improve sound 'quality' but it will certainly make a difference. Basically you can have 7 (or more) adjustments versus 2. I know you will be happy If you decide to buy one. Good luck.

Forum Regular
    I agree with Glen.At this point an equalizer would be a waste of money. Your money would be better spent on changing components, one at a time as budget allows.For instance Cambridge Audio has cd player and integrated amps at low price points that would be significant upgrades over your Onkyos.Also Paradigm and PSB make entry level speakers for less than $275 a pair that will eat your JBL for lunch.Change out one at a time and see the difference each component makes,you may stop at one upgrade, better way to spend your money.Good luck.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    I am not going to say that any of the other posters are wrong because they are not. I just think that the advice of "just replace your setup with a better one" is not really all that helpful. Anybody who has not spent many thousands on their equipment KNOWS that there is better equipment out there. Its like if someone asked how to make their Mustang faster and the response was 'buy a Ferrari'.

I would personally try to find a good deal on a used one if you decide to do it. Or better yet borrow one and try it out if at all possible. Maybe you can buy one from a store with a liberal return policy and see what happens.

The following is quoted from 'benpa's’ review of the TX 8511:

"My first impression of the Onkyo TX-8511 was rather grim and I wanted my money back; it produced a tinny sound and the bass reproduction was rolled off, even with the bass at full level. The problem wasn’t room acoustics; a similar transparency was produced using a high quality pair of Koss headphones. The Onkyo TX-8511 needs an active equalizer, which is at least seven band and good quality. I initially used a less expensive five band EQ and it didn’t make very much difference. I found a middle grade Pioneer EQ and it made all the difference, the transparency and dynamics are phenomenal. The TX-8511 is designed with more emphasis on the Amp than the Pre-Amp. I am guessing that an Onkyo EQ would be better suited."

Forum Regular
    I remember.........many, many years ago. Fred and Barnie came over to my place to party. At the time my stereo was on the lower side of hifi, a Sony intregraded amp, B&O turntable. Nak 600 cassette deck, no tuner, and a pair of genisis1 speakers. I had just bought a new EQ. We got stoned and played with the EQ the results amased us. Now 35 years later I still have one, don't use it much, but the stereo would not look right if I didn't have it. Kinda like not having a turntable. THATS JUST WRONG. LOL
    For the cost it will help your system. Enjoy

Forum Regular
    One thing I do remember doing when I bought my EQ. Is at the store set the EQ flat, turn it on and off over and over while listening to it. There should be no dif in the sound at all.

Thread Information