Forum Regular

Should I buy an amp or keep what I have?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if I should get an amp. I have alittle extra money I wanted to invest in my system and am starting buy buying a subwoofer to add. Right now I have a Marantz sr-6200 receiver and all paradigm speakers, the monitor 7s, the CC370, and titans. I dont know anything about doublewiring or bridging. I wouldnt know how to hook it up. I like to get the best system I can for my budget allotment. Any suggestions? Also, are there any good and simple sites that explain the basics. For instance I dont know how to properly adjust my sub when i get it either.

Suspended
    I'd hold off on buying an amp until you see what effect the sub has on your system. After adding the sub evaluate your sound to see if you are satisfied. Adding an amp won't make your perceived loudness go up by much but it could yield better control and overall sound quality. And much will depend on what amp you get and how big.

Your receiver should have a "LFE" output for sub. Probably the best thing to do is switch the sub crossover to "bypass" and use your receiver for bass management. When listening to Dolby Digital soundtracks the LFE is already set in the movie. When listening to music you may have to go into your receivers menu and pick a crossover point. What point depends on your room and speakers, you'll have to play with it to see what works. When you get the sub there are those over on the Home Theater thread who can run you through the whole SPL meter and test DVD/CD thing if you want to get into that. Performance of your sub can greatly vary with the placement in your room. You will have to do some experimenting, that's a given. Usually the manufacturer will give you some basic set up guidelines in the owner manual.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply. I am not one to crank my volume so I am not concerned with overall loudness but just am abit concerned with my receiver handling six speakers alone. Is there a way to calculate the amount that one receiver should power? Do you think adding a powered sub would help take enough of the load off of the receiver that I could bypass an additional amp? I will only use the sub about half the time since i have to coordinate it when my neighbors are not home.

Suspended
    A sub won't lighten the burden on your receiver. The reason most get a sub is due to the .1 in 5.1, also called LFE. It is the Low Frequency Effect that is mixed into movie soundtracks. But a sub isn't necessary if you set your receiver to "no sub" the LFE is sent to your main speakers. But if your speakers don't play low you won't get quite the same effect.

Your receiver is designed to handle all the speakers that's why they give you amplification for all of them. Also in home theater rarely will all speakers be playing at the same time. Obviously, a receiver can be overloaded if you used speakers that were difficult to drive and/or you always had to see how far the volume control went but that don't sound like your case. I'd say don't worry about it unless you were having a problem. Like your receiver going into protection. Adding an amp will relieve burden on your receiver and perhaps some improvement in sound quality but it isn't necessary unless some of the prior situations have occurred.

If you are in an apartment you might just want to wait on getting a sub. If you are going to be apartment living for awhile, you might want to take a look at some surround sound headphones. They have some that do 5.1. I haven't heard any so I can't tell you how good they work.

www.amusicdirect.com usually offer a good selection of headphones and accessories.

Forum Regular
    Thanks again Peabody. Actually my neighbor is very cool and we already talked about me getting one and that I wont use it if it is loud for her or only use when she is at work. Not too big of a deal for me as I really just want to complete my set for the time being. when I first saved the cash to buy my mains I didnt have a receiver so I had to sit and look at them for about a full year....talk about tormenting.

golden ear
    snodog, i believe a dedicated stereo power amp can deliver better quality sound. if your receiver has multi-channel pre-outs, make use of it to add an external/dedicated stereo power amp to boost your front speakers. this is most beneficial during stereo music listening...you will hear your speakers come to life even at very low volumes. you have to consider buying amps with equal or greater rating than your pre-existing rxver to experience this wonder.

Thread Information