rc 1070

Printable View

• 03-07-2008, 05:11 AM
    Bigmoney
    rc 1070
    Can anyone comment on the characteristics of the rotel 1070 preamp. Would it be the best match for a rotel 1080, and a big step up over the preout sectionon a massmarket receiver???
  • 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
    oaqm
    Feature-heavy, it is not, but it will pair up very nicely with the 1080 amplifier.

It should be a definite improvement over the mass-market stuff, but I hesitate to use a word like "big" (one man's huge is another man's embarrassment, if you know what I mean, and I think you do).
  • 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
    Bigmoney
    I just purchased the rc 1070 today. It is a little bright and fairly forward. However the sound is much clearer and a much large soundstage. I prefer the way it sounds by turning the contour switch to the left once. This lowers the treble by two and the bass by one db. By doing this the sound seems less bright to me. Is there anything wrong with using the contour switch for anything other than off. Thereby, like an equalizer...
  • 03-08-2008, 06:37 AM
    Brett A
    Congrats on your purchase!

My first serious rig was an RA 1060 integrated. It provided a level of detail, definition and accuracy that I was quite thrilled with. It also had very impressive clean, well extended bass. The forwardness, however, is something Rotels are commonly known for. It was my experience too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmoney
    I prefer the way it sounds by turning the contour switch to the left once. This lowers the treble by two and the bass by one db.

The contour knob doesn't actually cut any frequencies, only boosts them.
    From the manual:

OFF: the tone contour circuits are bypassed
    to ensure the purest possible sound.
    L-1: moderate increase in bass frequencies
    (typically +3dB @ 100Hz).
    L-2: more increase in bass frequencies (typically
    +4dB @ 100Hz).
    H: moderate increase in high frequencies
    (+3dB @ 10kHz).
    LH: combination of L-2 bass and H high frequency
    increases.
    Quote:

Is there anything wrong with using the contour switch for anything other than off. Thereby, like an equalizer...

It's commonly held that using no tone control is better than some tone control. That said, you should listen where you like it. That's what it's there for. And the Rotel provides tone control essentially with a switch, not with a potentially messy rheostat. (when you turn the contour knob, it actually slides a switch on the circuit board behind it in a linear path between its four stops.)

I think you now own some pretty top-notch equipment. If you are inclined to spend more money dialing it in, I'd suggest looking into room treatments. This has been some of the most value-per-dollar spending I've done on my system and can affect some of the qualities that seem to still be bothering you. Check out ATS acoustics. They offer great prices and service. (I'm a satisfied customer, that's all).
    http://www.atsacoustics.com/

Also, what are you running for interconnects?
  • 03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
    Bigmoney
    I am using a acoustic research pro 2 series and a stock interconnect from the cdp to the pre. I am only using the stock unitl my bluejeans cable comes in which is 3 feet long. The acoustic research is 6 feet long. I already have about 50 square feet of absorption panels in my room. I think I am pleased with the rotel clarity and detail and fast tight bass. Therefore I would like to keep it.........are there any other suggestions to making a system sound warmer..........interconnects?.................... ....cdp more specifically marantz 5001 I hear is warm?.............power cords?.................etc.
  • 03-08-2008, 09:31 AM
    Brett A
    I have had fun and success tuning my system with interconnects. I bought my Siltech New Yorks when I had the Rotel amp on the recommendation of my local dealer, Jim at Sprearit Sound (Siltech and Rotel are good together he said, and he was right). They were an upgrade from the various $30 cables I had owned up to that point (Tara Labs, Custom House, Straight). They were a significant outlay of cash (by my standard) but I may never want to upgrade them.

I upgraded my power cables pretty much last. The difference was subtle but noticeable and mostly affected depth and breadth of soundstage and detail retrieval, not overall coloration or general comfort level.

I didn't realize you already had adsorptions panels. I have mine behind the speakers. I found that is where they make the most improvement in my room.
  • 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett A
    I have had fun and success tuning my system with interconnects. I bought my Siltech New Yorks when I had the Rotel amp on the recommendation of my local dealer, Jim at Sprearit Sound (Siltech and Rotel are good together he said, and he was right). They were an upgrade from the various $30 cables I had owned up to that point (Tara Labs, Custom House, Straight). They were a significant outlay of cash (by my standard) but I may never want to upgrade them.

Ah, so you too :p

I've got Siltech New York's here too, from my cdp to my amp, made a HUGE improvement over the kimber PBJ that was there before...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 03-08-2008, 09:46 AM
    Brett A
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    Ah, so you too :p
    I've got Siltech New York's here too, from my cdp to my amp, made a HUGE improvement

Yes, mine are CDp to amp also. I started with a pair of London's. Then the NY's came avalable (used) for not much more, so I traded the Londons up for them. I found the New Yorks to be quite an improvement over the Londons. Well worth the extra especially on the used market.
  • 03-08-2008, 10:38 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

I just purchased the rc 1070 today. It is a little bright and fairly forward. However the sound is much clearer and a much large soundstage. I prefer the way it sounds by turning the contour switch to the left once. This lowers the treble by two and the bass by one db. By doing this the sound seems less bright to me. Is there anything wrong with using the contour switch for anything other than off. Thereby, like an equalizer...

Congratulations.... enjoy your new setup....
  • 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
    Bigmoney
    Why do some say, then, that all interconnects sound the same. While some report vast differences. It seems impossible for both people to have such different opinions.
  • 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
    oaqm
    Quote:

It seems impossible for both people to have such different opinions.

Pepsi - Coke
    Chocolate - Vanilla
    Republican - Democrat
    Glass half full - Glass half empty
    Duke - Carolina
    Ford - Chevrolet
    Tubes - Solid State

Abortion, the death penalty, home schooling, global warming, religion.... one thing you can say for us humans, we achieve the "impossible" with great regularity. Which reminds me of a nursery rhyme:

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue.
    I'm schizophrenic
    And so am I.
  • 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
    Brett A
    Quote:

Why do some say, then, that all interconnects sound the same. While some report vast differences. It seems impossible for both people to have such different opinions.

I wish there was a clear and simple answer to that question.

Among those engaged in our hobby, there seems to be two camps. One that believes audio engineering is strictly a science, and that if it cannot be measured, it cannot be heard; if you hear a difference, then your ears are playing tricks on you. This group dismisses perception and believes in science to tell them the truth. -they buy $12 cables

The other camp believes there is art involved in putting all this together and that even though some differences cannot be measured, there is still an obvious and dependable difference. This group believes there is something in addition to science and the ears are what tells them the truth. -they buy $1,200 cables

It's a rich and passionate debate involving matters such as "truth" "proof" and "perception"
    Personally, I think which side of this debate a person falls on is predetermined. I think the world-view we bring to it inclines us as to one view or the other (but I digress).

Welcome to the Great Debate. Try not to lose any sleep over it.:crazy:
  • 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
    Bigmoney
    I guess I just don't understand the logic in buying a cable that costs as much as many components. I could never imagine doing that. Talk about diminishing returns. I truly believe someone who spends a thousand dollars on a cable and believes it transforms his system is just being tricked by his subconscious in order to justify having spent that kind of money on an interconnect. That is, no one wants to believe they wasted a thousand dollars. After all, cables at that price point must reinvent your system....or so we wish to believe....if not atleast youll be refinancing your mortage.
  • 03-10-2008, 03:55 AM
    Brett A
    Quote:

I guess I just don't understand the logic in buying a cable that costs as much as many components.

Many folks consider cables to be a component. They are in a literal sense. I've heard it suggested that 10% of your total system cost should be in cables. For me, that'd be about
    $500 I actually have about half of that in cables and am really happy.
    Quote:

I could never imagine doing that. Talk about diminishing returns.

That's just it. We each determine our own point of diminishing returns. It's a personal decision. For me, I won't go into debt for this hobby (or anything else except my mortgage) and I have the good fortune of being able to spend $150 on a pair of cables without noticing too much. Do they sound $130 better to me? Gawd, yes. That said, I could never imagine that a $300 pair could be $150 better than what I have. I think I'm at my point of diminishing returns.

Do cables make a difference? Most people will say yes. The only way to know for sure is to listen for yourself. Perhaps your local shop can loan you a set that you can try at home -just to see for yourself if there's anything to it. You really cannot go by what you read. There's so much support for both sides of the argument. In then end, what really matters is your enjoyment of your system. How you arrived at that system, all the science, art, and spending are peripheral to that moment.

:)
  • 03-10-2008, 04:21 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett A
    Many folks consider cables to be a component. They are in a literal sense. I've heard it suggested that 10% of your total system cost should be in cables. For me, that'd be about
    $500 I actually have about half of that in cables and am really happy.

That's just it. We each determine our own point of diminishing returns. It's a personal decision. For me, I won't go into debt for this hobby (or anything else except my mortgage) and I have the good fortune of being able to spend $150 on a pair of cables without noticing too much. Do they sound $130 better to me? Gawd, yes. That said, I could never imagine that a $300 pair could be $150 better than what I have. I think I'm at my point of diminishing returns.

Do cables make a difference? Most people will say yes. The only way to know for sure is to listen for yourself. Perhaps your local shop can loan you a set that you can try at home -just to see for yourself if there's anything to it. You really cannot go by what you read. There's so much support for both sides of the argument. In then end, what really matters is your enjoyment of your system. How you arrived at that system, all the science, art, and spending are peripheral to that moment.

:)

Good Post....

You really need to listen, experiment and decide for yourself in this hobby....

My rule of thumb for audio is that the less debated a component's value is = the more likely you'll find it valuable... i.e. I honestly can't remember hearing an arguement that all speakers sound the same... so using my rule of thumb, I expect to see a noticeable difference by changing speaker brands/series.... on the other hand, cables are so hotly debated (to the point that many people even claim that all cables sound the same)... so with my rule of thumb, I don't expect to see any major or even noticeable differences by changing cables.... But even so, I think it's best to experiment for yourself (as long as you don't waste money doing so) and draw your own conclusions....

As for how much to spend on cables... I've heard the 10% rule and generally just ignore it.... I'm content with a decent but inexpensive set of monster cables or a comparably priced/quality brand.... To me the thought of spending several hundred on cables doesn't make much sense (unless you have components of a certain cost/quality), simply because I can't see the value of using $500 worth of high quality cable with say a $1K CD Player and $2K Amp... since the internal cables used in those components are unlikely to be anywhere near the cost/quality of the external cable... so what would be the benefit of expensive/high quality external cables, with cheap internal ones???

Now if someone who spent $100K on speakers and another $80K on amp and source, wants to buy $5K cables... well, why shouldn't he? He's got nothing to lose, since the $5K is probably not much money to him anyway and maybe he might actually hear the benefit of those expensive cables....
  • 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
    Brett A
    Big Money, did you get your Blue Lean Cables yet? If so, how do they sound? Is it an improvement over the ARs?
  • 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
    Bigmoney
    Brett, I got them a few days ago. Before I do any critical listening I wanted to let the cables burn in awhile.I am running a 3 foot IC and a 2.5 foot IC. I would say they are a slight improvement over the ar's. The improvements over the ar's were subtle but audible. I would say the bass tightened up a bit, also the blue jeans I believe took a bit of harshness out of the sound had complained about. I think they may have added a little air to the image but narrowed my soundstage. By air I would venture to say the blue jeans added depth while slightly contricting the soundstage to a more concise image. Let me emphasize these improvements are very small. I donot regret spending the 60 dollars for these cables. While my system wasn't revolutionized, the cables provided a slight improvement with good shiedling. Did I forget to mention a slightly lower noise floor? Also my ar's ran 6 feet each and both had higher capitance's than the BJ's. Even though my ar's are fine for my system I am glad I purchased the BJC's. Doesn't it feel good to not contemplate whether something is a limiting factor in your system? For awhile I would often be distracted often wondering if my IC'S were up to par. Setting aside the fact I am 60 bucks down and didn't gain a huge sonic improvemnt, I no longer have that insecurity and would much rather spend the money to have quality IC'S as opposed to letting my IC inferiorities ruin or distract the enjoyment of the music. After all isn't enjoying the tunes the reason we are all here?
  • 03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
    Brett A
    Quote:

Brett, I got them a few days ago. Before I do any critical listening I wanted to let the cables burn in awhile.....The improvements over the ar's were subtle but audible.

Yeh, I could see that. subtle not only being a subjective measure, but one that is impossible to transmit through this forum. I might use the words "subtle but important" for my experience with such improvements.

Quote:

I would say the bass tightened up a bit, also the blue jeans I believe took a bit of harshness out of the sound had complained about.

That's all good news.

Quote:

I think they may have added a little air to the image but narrowed my soundstage. By air I would venture to say the blue jeans added depth while slightly contricting the soundstage to a more concise image. Let me emphasize these improvements are very small.

I think often in this hobby, we have to choose between two compromises. More airy and concise, slightly lower noise floor (as you mention below), but a bit narrower? I'd take that. And perhaps they'll open up a bit over time.

Quote:

I donot regret spending the 60 dollars for these cables. While my system wasn't revolutionized, the cables provided a slight improvement with good shiedling. Did I forget to mention a slightly lower noise floor? Also my ar's ran 6 feet each and both had higher capitance's than the BJ's. Even though my ar's are fine for my system I am glad I purchased the BJC's. Doesn't it feel good to not contemplate whether something is a limiting factor in your system? For awhile I would often be distracted often wondering if my IC'S were up to par. Setting aside the fact I am 60 bucks down and didn't gain a huge sonic improvemnt, I no longer have that insecurity and would much rather spend the money to have quality IC'S as opposed to letting my IC inferiorities ruin or distract the enjoyment of the music. After all isn't enjoying the tunes the reason we are all here?

Sounds like all-in-all you feel like it was $60 well spent. And as you say, some of that money is the cost of taking your mind off your ICs, freeing it up for other things, like enjoying the music, which indeed the reason we are all here. :thumbsup:
  • 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
    Bigmoney
    ""I think often in this hobby, we have to choose between two compromises. More airy and concise, slightly lower noise floor (as you mention below), but a bit narrower? I'd take that. And perhaps they'll open up a bit over time.""

Yes, check out my most recent post called collapsed soundstage. Sincce hooking up my cables I was doing a listening session last night a heard an extremely narrower soundstage to my disliking. Optimistically I hope this will open up after a 100 hours or so........I will let you know the results as the cables are under 10 hours (infancy).
  • 04-15-2008, 04:40 AM
    TheHills44060
    Be careful with the RC-1070 because it is really sensitive to static electricity...i just had mine blow in December (did some research and found this is way too common for this piece). Went to turn the volume down and ZAP...dead. Some functions work kinda and others are just dead. Of course this was just 1 month after the 5 year warranty ended so i was extremely pissed. It was a decent preamp for the price but I expected to get more than 5 damned years out of the thing. For this reason alone i would never ever recommend it. I have a Rotel RB-991 amp and it's treated me well for 8 years.

Ended replacing the 1070 with a McIntosh C220.