Rava sub amp failure

Printable View

• 10-16-2005, 07:54 AM
    caesar
    Rava sub amp failure
    My Rava sub amp recently stopped working while it was plugged into Lfe line in the receiver, I then hooked it up speaker line it worked breifly then quit. My question is should I try to have it fixed or should I purchase a new amp.It is at Adireaudio in Wash. state.I am currently waiting for some reply on its condition.It has been over 2 months at location.I would appreciate some websites that are selling good quality sub amp plates or a good location to have it possibly repaired. Thanx
  • 10-16-2005, 10:31 AM
    Woochifer
    The amplifier that's used on the Rava is a modified version of the 250 watt plate amp that Parts Express (and several other vendors) sells. You can always just swap out the amp if Adire can't fix it (can't imagine why they would not be able to), but keep in mind that the version that's on the Rava has some modifications to the EQ circuit that are optimized for the performance of the Shiva driver that the Rava uses. Acoustic Visions sells the Parts Express amp for $150 and Rythmic Audio's version for $120. Apparently, the Adire version of the amp is not available. They should be able to help you out with modifying the EQ/rumble filter circuit to try and match the version that's inside the Rava if you decide that you want to replace the amp.
  • 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
    caesar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The amplifier that's used on the Rava is a modified version of the 250 watt plate amp that Parts Express (and several other vendors) sells. You can always just swap out the amp if Adire can't fix it (can't imagine why they would not be able to), but keep in mind that the version that's on the Rava has some modifications to the EQ circuit that are optimized for the performance of the Shiva driver that the Rava uses. Acoustic Visions sells the Parts Express amp for $150 and Rythmic Audio's version for $120. Apparently, the Adire version of the amp is not available. They should be able to help you out with modifying the EQ/rumble filter circuit to try and match the version that's inside the Rava if you decide that you want to replace the amp.

Thank You for the information, thats very helpful
  • 10-17-2005, 04:10 AM
    kexodusc
    Plate amps go quite a bit compared to some equipment. I'm waiting for a warranty replacement for my plate amp too (on of those Parts Express ones). It's a great amp as far as they go, circuitry isn't the most durable though. Still, you and I are by far in the minority, most amps are problem free.

Wooch is right, adjusting the rumble filter is usually very easy, and chances are one of the others has the exact same setting anyway. Make sure it is the same amp though, if the dimensions are off at all, you could find yourself looking at carving a larger hole in your sub's cabinet.