Forum Regular

Post Questions for JohnMichael about the Onkyo A9555!

Following Feanor's advice I ditched the idea of the (Onkyo) receiver so I'm for Onkyo's digital integrated amplifiers.

How would you rate your amplifier.. Warm, Neutral or Bright?

Which of these speakers would be out of question?
    Wharfedale (warm)
    Monitor Audio (tad bright)
    Klipsch (bright)

I've heard that Klipsch sound well with the 9555.. do you think they will be a good match?

Thank you, John.

P.S.: Hope that 9355 sound as the 9555.

A-9555 review

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    Following Feanor's advice I ditched the idea of the (Onkyo) receiver so I'm for Onkyo's digital integrated amplifiers.

How would you rate your amplifier.. Warm, Neutral or Bright?

Which of these speakers would be out of question?
    Wharfedale (warm)
    Monitor Audio (tad bright)
    Klipsch (bright)

I've heard that Klipsch sound well with the 9555.. do you think they will be a good match?

Thank you, John.

P.S.: Hope that 9355 sound as the 9555.
    JM will respond, I'm sure. Meanwhile, here is an interesting A-9555 review ...
    http://stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

Forum Regular
    Thanks Feanor, appreciated as ever.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    On a scal of 1-10 with 1 being warm, 6 being neutral and 10 being cold I would rate the Onkyo as a 5. Just slightly warm with a smooth high end. The Onkyo is more neutral than the CA 640A. The speakers I am using are very neutral probably a 6 on the previous scale and they are a good match for the Onkyo. As far as Klipsch is concerned I tend not to enjoy the horn tweeter they use but I think the Onkyo with it's smooth top end would make the Klipsch more enjoyable. The highs are smooth but detailed and I do not think you would have any problem with a warmer speaker.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    I thought Onkyo's sound would be bright, it's nice to know that is a little on the warm side... so I must choose preferably a colder speaker. Then Wharfedale are out of question... I've narrowed on the other two.
    There are even those JBL (must be a tad bright) that could be a good match: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=CLA&ser=NRE

Why don't you like Horn tweeters? (I've heard that they result in a more tridimensional sound, bigger soundstage)

Any experience with those JBL?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    I thought Onkyo's sound would be bright, it's nice to know that is a little on the warm side... so I must choose preferably a colder speaker. Then Wharfedale are out of question... I've narrowed on the other two.
    There are even those JBL (must be a tad bright) that could be a good match: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=CLA&ser=NRE

Why don't you like Horn tweeters? (I've heard that they result in a more tridimensional sound, bigger soundstage)

Any experience with those JBL?

I said I have not liked the horn tweeters that Klipsch uses in their lower ranges. I do not dislike all horns. I have not seriously listened to JBL's for years. I almost think you should buy the A 9555 and get to know it with your current speakers and then you could make a better choice down the road. You would have more power and the Onkyo has elevated the sound of my Ascend CBM 170SE's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    9555 is out of question, I don't have the money. I'll go with the 9355.

I just saw some videos of Klipsch... is just mine impression or are they 'forward', bright' and 'echoing'? I have heard about 'soundstage' but to me it does seem just 'echo'. It was unpleasant... it's just an impression from those videos or it's really as this? They sound like for 'home theatre', not for music.

Then I will probably surrender to the Monitor Audio BR2, mine first choice.. hope the 9355 will have the power to let them sound.

Thread Information