OWNED BY A GREYHOUND PAOGORMAN2001's Avatar

Question from a newbie

Hi folks
    I'm Pete from Ct and I have need some advice or opinions. I have Cambridge Soundworks model M-80 bookshelf speakers that are being powered by a Onkyo TX-8511 100 watt receiver. I am very happy with the combination but was wondering if there would be any improvement in sound if I purchased an integrated amplifier like a NAD C320BEE. I understand the Nad is 50 watts .

Thanks ---Pete
    Last edited by PAOGORMAN2001; 11-02-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Hello, welcome to AR.

There will most likely be a small difference. Some will say that it's night vs. day. Others will say that you can't hear any difference. The best thing to do is to listen for yourself. No one seems to hear things the same way.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

As GM said...

Quote Originally Posted by PAOGORMAN2001
    Hi folks
    I'm Pete from Ct and I have need some advice or opinions. I have Cambridge Soundworks model M-80 bookshelf speakers that are being powered by a Onkyo TX-8511 100 watt receiver. I am very happy with the combination but was wondering if there would be any improvement in sound if I purchased an integrated amplifier like a NAD C320BEE. I understand the Nad is 50 watts .

Thanks ---Pete
    ...you pays yer money and you takes yer choice...Generally speaking, I am of the opinion that the effect of changing the electronics has no comparison, is not of the same magnitude, to that of changing speakers...perhaps even simply relocating the speakers or doing some other tweeking with respect to environment within which they operate...

jimHJJ(...re: "improvements" if it ain't broke...you could be...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

2 channel lover
    sure u can do it but ur gonna cut the output power to ur speakers a good amount
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Linear Guy

Difference?

Probably not as much as you would think. Speaker choice and speaker placement have the biggest effect. If you are looking for more detail, that might bemore a funtion of the source than amp.

OWNED BY A GREYHOUND PAOGORMAN2001's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for the advise and insight. I've decided to keep what I have . As I said the Cambridge Soundworks M80's and the Onkyo tx8511 receiver are doing a great job in the condo. Maybe when decide to buy some top notch speakers I will then do them justice by getting a good integrated amp.

2 channel lover
    actually yea u r rite sry bout that wow
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Thread Information