Forum Regular

Question for Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody, I noticed you are using Conrad-Johnson amplification and you have Dynaudio speakers. Do you like this combination? How is the system synergy?

I ask because I am contemplating going over to the tube world. I would like to start with a CJ tubed pre-amp (PV14L maybe?) and use this with a CJ MF-2250 SS amp. Or maybe a tube power amp as well? Used of course. I have Dynaudio mini-monitors now and I like the house sound, so I wouldn't want to replace my amp and have to look for new speakers as a result.

Any thoughts you could offer on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks!

Suspended
    I am a huge Dynaudio fan. One of their biggest strengths is their neutrality which allows them to sound as good on Mozart as they do on Metallica.

I like my CJ/Dyn combo. I have had other amps hooked up to my Dyn's but I have not had the opportunity to hear my CJ with other speakers. The PV14Ls2 is an excellent preamp, it's one of those products that I feel performs way beyond it's price range. I think it's a good idea to use the tube pre with a CJ solid state to begin with to see how you like that combo. You know Dyn's like power. It really depends on your room and listening style. I previously had a Krell integrated. So when I went from that to a 50x2 MV60 I was wanting more power on occasion and eventually bought another and had them turned into monoblocks. The MV60 in stereo drove the Dyn's surprisingly well though for it's power rating. CJ also has the MV60se which uses 6550 tubes and is said to have more punch and control in the bass but trades off a bit of the midrange magic. Tube power is expensive too. The MF mosfet SS amps said to have CJ's house sound. If I had a CJ dealer near by where I could have conveniently tried the products, I would have went with the tube/SS combo to start with. But at the time I was looking for that "midrange magic" so I just plunged and got all tubes. I immediately fell in love with what I heard once I got the CJ in my system so I haven't changed anything since except to do the monoblocks for more power..

I did do some experimenting with cables and preferred the Siltech New Yorker line which is at the top of the MXT pro series. A lot of the cables will depend on your taste. But the gear will benefit from good cables.

Your source (cd, turntable etc) will also have a lot of influence on your system.

My email link, in my profile is turned on if you have additional questions, or just post again, which ever.

Suspended
    Nick, I looked at your equipment, which I should have done previously, it doesn't change anything I said except to add your 42's won't need as much power as my t2.5's. Either version of the mv60 would rock them pretty well if you decided to go all tube. I see I was preaching to the choir on cables and power conditioning. I'm assuming the CAL is a CD player. What experience I've had with CAL they should mix with CJ well.

Forum Regular
    I appreciate your responses.

Yes, the CAL is a CDP. I've heard other CJ-based systems with this unit and they work well together (in the midrange especially).

I'm glad you like the Dyn/CJ combo. My goal after upgrading the amps would be to eventually move up the Dynaudio chain...Focus series maybe.

Thanks.

Suspended
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the Focus, at least not enough to get a feel for them. If you like the monitor style you might give a listen to the A52se, or a used Special 25. They also had another stand out monitor but the model isn't coming to me now, I think maybe a Contour 1.3se.

I'd love to get my hands on the CJ ART preamp.

Suspended
    They have one at www.Spearitsound.com under the "demos & specials" tab. I can't remember if it's used or not. I didn't pay a lot of attention since even at a reduced price it was out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    I'd love to get my hands on the CJ ART preamp.
    And a bunch of spare 6922s!

Best line stage in my experience.

rw

Thread Information