Forum Regular

seeking adivce - what to get instead of NAD

So I'd made up my mind to pick up a NAD integrated amp, 150 watts, and found a good deal on one, this would only be used to drive a pair of Linn Katan speakers and a set of outdoor Polks, and would be replacing a 15 year-old Carver amp that is on its last legs. Come to find in reading NAD's own web site that these puppies require substantial venitilation or they can provide an entertaining light show when they spark, flame, and burn. Back to square one, since we have our equipment rack-mounted - it's a nice set-up and there is ventilation, but not so much that I would want to put in something that really puts off heat. Any suggestions??? Willing to go up to 1k or so, would rather not spend more given the limited use, but want the best - the Carver is/was a great unit... thanks! - J

Class D

Quote Originally Posted by Amused2
    So I'd made up my mind to pick up a NAD integrated amp, 150 watts, and found a good deal on one, this would only be used to drive a pair of Linn Katan speakers and a set of outdoor Polks, and would be replacing a 15 year-old Carver amp that is on its last legs. Come to find in reading NAD's own web site that these puppies require substantial venitilation or they can provide an entertaining light show when they spark, flame, and burn. Back to square one, since we have our equipment rack-mounted - it's a nice set-up and there is ventilation, but not so much that I would want to put in something that really puts off heat. Any suggestions??? Willing to go up to 1k or so, would rather not spend more given the limited use, but want the best - the Carver is/was a great unit... thanks! - J
    The Class "D" switching amps are an option since they have lot of power and little heat. Check out models from PS Audio, Bel Canto, and NuForce. You will have to buy used to keep the cost under $1k. Here's an exmple on Audiogon ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1179678170

Bonus: they'll sound better than NAD too.

Forum Regular
    thanks, I'll take a look - we were toying with a used McIntosh at one point too, I'd almost forgotten. Back to audiogon we go - thanks! - J

Suspended
    Yep, great suggestion the Class D. I don't know if LINN makes 2 channel Class D but my 5125 is Class D and the shelf it is on has very little room and it's behind a closed door. When I first installed it I checked to be sure it was alright and after it played for awhile I opened the door and the cabinet of the amp was maybe room temperature, it wasn't warm but the cool metal feel was gone. This design would be perfect for cramped space and limited ventilation.

Thread Information