• 11-06-2004, 04:17 PM
    hkhurana
    Question on ac power supply for power amp
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a Rotel 1075 (125w X 5 channels) used to as a power amp connected to my NAD 760 acting as the pre-amp. The 760 does not have a 12v switch to turn trigger on / off the power amp. I was wondering if it is okay to used the swichted power outlet on the 760 to connect the power amp. Or does the Rotel have to go directly into the power strip? I want to turn off the amp when not in use, but want to make sure the NAD 760 can supply sufficent power for the amp.

Thanks.

Hareesh
  • 11-06-2004, 06:41 PM
    NickWH
    Do NOT plug your amp into the outlet of another component. It will draw way too much power. Those outlets can only handle low wattage components (like tuners, CD players, etc.).

Unless you have a high-current power strip (PS Audio, etc.), I would plug the amp directly into the wall. Otherwise you will limit the voltage available to the amp and possibly affect its performance.
  • 11-08-2004, 01:30 PM
    Kursun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hkhurana
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a Rotel 1075 (125w X 5 channels) used to as a power amp connected to my NAD 760 acting as the pre-amp. The 760 does not have a 12v switch to turn trigger on / off the power amp. I was wondering if it is okay to used the swichted power outlet on the 760 to connect the power amp. Or does the Rotel have to go directly into the power strip? I want to turn off the amp when not in use, but want to make sure the NAD 760 can supply sufficent power for the amp.

Thanks.

Hareesh

I had built a simple circuit for myself to do a very similar job. It powers my subwoofer (500Wrms) everytime I switch on my receiver.

It's plastic box that gets its power from both the receiver's back panel outlet and also from the wall outlet. Inside the box there is a 220V/9-12V transformer, a rectifier and a 12V relay with 10A contacts (2200VA). The transformer is powered by the receiver's power outlet and switches on an outlet on the box. This outlet uses the power from the wall outlet, not the receiver's outlet. This simple box does its work quietly. I wonder if there is a readymade similar device.