• 05-26-2008, 11:48 PM
    agentsteel
    Question about Rotel RC-1082 pre-amp.
    Hi, I looked up this pre-amp and noticed on the back of it theres a network connection is it for like connecting a PC and listen to music?

Also, what would be the best way to listen to mp3s through a high end pre-amp/poweramp combo with some floorstander speakers, and is the sound quality decent?

thanks
  • 05-27-2008, 10:37 AM
    elapsed
    Hi Agentsteel, welcome to AR! The manual for your pre-amp is available here: http://www.rotel.com/NA/Support/Manuals.htm

Quote:

Computer I/O Connector
    The RC-1082 can be operated from a personal computer running audio system control software from third-party developers. This control is accomplished by sending the operating codes normally sent by the RR-AT97 remote control over a hard-wired network connection from the computer.

The COMPUTER I/O input provides the necessary connection on the back panel. It accepts standard RJ-45 8-pin modular plugs, such as those commonly used in 10-BaseT UTP Ethernet cabling.

For additional information on the connections, software, and operating codes for computer control of the RC-1082, contact your authorized Rotel dealer.
    As for streaming mp3's, the most popular solution would be to purchase a Squeezebox, and stream FLAC. Sound quality is excellent over analogue. I have a Squeezebox 3; the brand new Squeezebox Duet is getting fantastic reviews as well

Cheers
  • 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
    Feanor
    Referring to the manual ...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agentsteel
    Hi, I looked up this pre-amp and noticed on the back of it theres a network connection is it for like connecting a PC and listen to music?

Also, what would be the best way to listen to mp3s through a high end pre-amp/poweramp combo with some floorstander speakers, and is the sound quality decent?

thanks

Looking at the manual at the link supplied by elapsed, you'll see that the RJ-45 connections is intended to accept remote control codes from you program that is running suitable R/C software: it is very unlikely that it will handle streamed audio files.

Arguably the best way to send audio files from your computer to your preamp is to connect the former to USB DAC (digital to analog converter), and the DAC to the preamp using one of the high-level, analog inputs.

However using a device like the Squeebox is a very practical solution that adds wireless remote access to your computer.