AR Newbie Registered Member

Question About Crown Amp

I have just picked up a Crown DC 300 Amplifier in absolutely mint condition. I am curious as to the value of this amp and where I might be able to find out more about this beauty! I would like to get the manual and the shop manual for this amp. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

The Collector
    best bet would be to go to crowns website and contact them or your local crown dealer for the manuals. the amp is worth a few hundred to the right person all day long. it's a beast of an amp. not the best sounding (to some people) but will last a life time and has a very unique sound a lot of people love. I personally think that was one of the best things crown ever produced. i'm looking for a pair of them myself

Quote Originally Posted by teleman
    I have just picked up a Crown DC 300 Amplifier in absolutely mint condition. I am curious as to the value of this amp and where I might be able to find out more about this beauty! I would like to get the manual and the shop manual for this amp. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    D Series Crown manuals

Indeed, it was one of the top SS amps in the 70s.

rw

Forum Regular

Good old amp but getting old

My DC300A just died this summer. Actually , my son has owned it for the past few years. He had been using it and probably overworked it with too many speakers and liked to demonstrate loud, very loud. Anyway, they are on ebay all the time from DC300, DC300A to DC300A series II and probably average about $250. I consider that a bargain but many don't care for them. They are fairly powerful and durable. The manuals are often available as copies on ebay.
    Bill

Hello teleman!

That's a good find there.

I hope some of the guys here tell their Crown stories, that is one near-indestructable amp!

Right now, a *mint* DC-300A has a $599 bid on it with two days to go. It does have the original walnut cabinet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I watched these for a while and the 300As' usually go in the $200-300 range.

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    I hope some of the guys here tell their Crown stories, that is one near-indestructable amp!
    I had a D-150 back in my high school days. Since I was the resident audio geek, I was asked to provide the sound system for the 1974 Miss RHS Pageant contestants. I brought my Technics SL-110/SME/Ortofon M15, Citation 11, D-150, and Double Advents w/Microstatic tweeters. The "sound room" was a lunchroom table covered with a cloth -- and kinda dark in there. During setup, I inadvertently shorted the outputs of one channel with a screwdriver - thus fusing it to the posts. Naturally, my first reaction was "Oh Shi...". I tapped the screwdriver free, crossed my fingers, and powered up the amp. No problemo. I never had any troubles with that amp despite the abuse!

rw

Forum Regular

Another old Crown story

Back in the 80's, I had sold my Crown IC150 and DC300A to my youngest brother. He and my other brother rented a hall for a party and used the Crown setup with two pair of series IV, Bose 901's. I know everyone hates them, I can live with that.
    They must have been playing pretty loud and they were certainly capable of that. People coming in the door kept asking where the band was, assuming that that much noise could only be a live band. Nope, just an old stereo setup. Anyway, eventually, the police showed up and made them turn it down.
    The old Crown and speakers were none the worse for wear and went on for many years. The DC300A just died this summer but I suspect it would have lasted longer if my son hadn't ended up with it. He has a habit of overdoing things.
    Bill

Thread Information