Thread: rotel pre/pro

Forum Regular

rotel pre/pro

Is the Rotel 976 pre/pro to old to consider now days. Can buy a used one for $275.00
    and would it sound better then using my h&k 320 for pre/pro.

Suspended
    No matter how you slice it I'd say that's a deal if the unit is in good shape. The rsp976 will lack some of the latest surround but is Dolby Digital and DTS, it will lack any HD video switching, it does have 5.1 analog input for DVD-A/SACD, it has digital ins and outs and dual zone controls. It will be an improvement over the HK receiver as a preamp sound quality wise, I'm not sure what your receiver has for features. So if you have a basic 5.1 and don't mind to run your video directly to your TV, then go for it.

Forum Regular

Rotel rsp-976

Thanks Mr Peabody

Was looking for someone to help me decide. I have read some reviews that say it has a hard time decoding DTS and center channel drop outs. Another problem was the cross over set at 100hz only. But I thought with all it's shot comings it may still sound better. Is there any other problems I should know about.

Suspended
    I really don't know that much about the unit, no personal experience using it. Have you read some pro reviews? Maybe Google it to see what you can find. That would be odd to have only a fixed crossover point. If your speakers are full range and large enough you wouldn't need a preamp crossover anyway, unless maybe for music. 5.1 soundtracks have the frequency crossover points in the decoding already for the Low Frequency Effect sub out. If these problems you stated were consistent through a few reviews that would be cause for concern. You could email Rotel to see if they ever put out a firmware update to solve any of the problems.

Forum Regular

rotel

After trying it out, it sounded about the same but was a little less user friendly. The cross over point is not stated in the manual for the small speaker option. Most reviews say 80 but some say 100, all say it sounds great.

Suspended
    If nothing else you should have heard some difference in interpretation, especially in music playback. I would have also thought a better sense of steering of sound effects. What other equipment is involved? Do you have a separate power amp? How did you hook up the Rotel?

Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. You should be able to get your money back if you decide not to keep it. If you can't return it you always have Audiogon or Ebay.

Forum Regular

Rotel

The sound quality was some what better but not an amazing difference. The remote and menu functions were a little disappointing. Over all the unit is decent and if my original setup was not so easy to use I would be happy with it. The wife and kid have no problem using the H&k receiver and remote for all HT and music modes (very important).

Receiver Harman Kardon 320
    Amp Rotel 1075
    DVD Harman Kardon 22
    Speakers Athena AS-F2, ASC1, AS-R1, AS- P4000 sub
    CD Pioneer 100 disk changer

AR Newbie Registered Member
    how much is the rotel preamp rtc-965

AR Newbie Registered Member

price on preamp

do yuo know how much are rtc-965 preamp is worth regards
    charles33

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If nothing else you should have heard some difference in interpretation, especially in music playback. I would have also thought a better sense of steering of sound effects. What other equipment is involved? Do you have a separate power amp? How did you hook up the Rotel?

Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. You should be able to get your money back if you decide not to keep it. If you can't return it you always have Audiogon or Ebay.

Thread Information