earlist pre's with PL II

researching models/brands for the future move to separates. Budget is limited (<$1000) so i'm looking strictly at used market. I really enjoy PLII with music and TV so i must have this. Can someone suggest a good entry level preamp with the following;

must have's;
    decode DD,DTS,PL II
    some form of Bass Management
    5.1 (not setup for more)

Don't care about;
    video switching
    remote
    tuner quality
    looks or color

Try bidding on this used B & K Ref 50 on Audiogon. The guy is asking for $1300 or best offer for a 3 year old model. I am familiar with its predecessor the Ref 30 model which lacked PL II, and its a lot better than entry level. It has the most capable bass management I've ever seen, with built-in digital notch filter capability in the 20-200 Hz range. Read about it at the B & K site.

I was going to recommend B&K, but Swerd beat me to it. You can probably find a nice used Adcom pre/pro on audiogon. This may sound sacriligeous, but have you considered a used AVR and using it as a pre/pro? A nice lower model Denon or Yammie might be just the trick as their shortcomings are usually with the amps and it sounds like you already have a multi-channel amp ready to go. Just a thought.

thanks guys for the recommendation, i'll do some research. I'm not ready to pull the trigger, but also am budgeting for a 5 channel amp.

I actually have a nice HK AVR525 receiver, i love the receiver, but want to move into separates and find out what the fuss is about. I teamed a Denon AVR2801 and NAD 2 channel before, but never a separate 5 channel amp.

I also researched the Lexicon DC-1&2 models. Upgrades can bring them close to today's formats and such. They run in my range. I do love the PL II and Logic 7 and the Lexicon debuted the Logic7.

Research is half the fun of it....

If you're limiting your universe to only those separates with DPLII, then you need to consider only units that were introduced from about mid-2001 onwards. Keep in mind that processor preamp separates have longer update cycles than receivers do, so some high end processors did not include DPLII until late-2002 or early-2003. (I believe this was the case with the Sunfires, Anthems, and Lexicons, among others) As topspeed suggested, it's perfectly legit to start by plugging a multichannel amp into a receiver and initially use that as the processor.

Thread Information