Quad 303 / 33 ????

Printable View

• 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
    jocko_nc
    Quad 303 / 33 ????
    I am looking at a thrift auction (no, I'm not gonna tell) for a Quad 303 amp / 33 controller.

Obviously, people know what these are worth. The price will go up, but probably end up around the $100.00 range. A good deal. Do I really need one of these? Are they THAT good to justify 1960's solid state technology? I know fans swear by them. I wonder if they are for me. I usually cut it off at the late 70's and prefer polished aluminum. ????????.

How much would you bid? Untested: Missing power cords that I could no doubt replace easy enough.

I'm thinking these may go well with Vandersteen.........

Please advise.

Thanks,

GSD
  • 07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
    cjpremierfour
    The matching Quad FM and AM tuner has also been added to this website. If this stuff works, it would be an excellent deal for someone.
  • 07-20-2006, 11:15 PM
    <Martyn
    I had a Quad 33/303 for many years. It was a very dependable and enjoyable amplifier. I eventually replaced it with a Linn amp which was slightly better. The modern mid/high amps are better still - Rotel is about the lowest entry point that would surpass the Quad on clarity.

You should be able to pick up the Quad for less than $200. Check that it comes with the removable (reversible) phono input board.
  • 08-12-2006, 06:57 AM
    janine
    the amp's much better than the pre-amp.