Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: "Pure Class A"

Suspended
    JRA, I wonder why the power doesn't increase more than it does into 4 ohms. It looks like there's reserve, maybe just not a lot of current? Not familiar with that line of amp.

Mr. P,

I try to stay away from technical aspect of this hobby. So to answer your question, I have no idea. Tim Rawson is well known for what he fabricates based on PASS Labs schematics, so I just hoped on them. They are clone of the PASS Labs Aleph 5.
    BTW, Aleph 5s were high-current design.

Here is a link if you feel like reading.

http://cygnus.ipal.org/mirror/www.pa....com/a5lit.htm

From what I understand, Tim just enjoys making amps, and he sells them on Agon to cover his cost. Defintely, one of the good guys. He's username is Rawsonte on Agon.

JRA

Suspended
    Ah, the Aleph 5 only has two gain stages and leaves out the "auxiliary pull circuitry" which allows more power at low impedances. It is still stable though according to the link you posted. Apparently, the benefit side is more immediacy, warmth and detail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Ah, the Aleph 5 only has two gain stages and leaves out the "auxiliary pull circuitry" which allows more power at low impedances. It is still stable though according to the link you posted. Apparently, the benefit side is more immediacy, warmth and detail.

Thanks
    Warmth is defintely there. This is my first SS Class A amp, and I'm quite amazed.
    I have them connected directly from a Yamaha CDP w/ variable output.
    I will eventually need to get a hold a tube preamp/linestage, but at this moment I got a huge smile. Smooth clarity with lots of grip.

Big thanks to Nelson Pass and Tim Rawson!!
    JRA

AR Newbie Registered Member

Wink

[QUOTE=audio amateur]Perhaps you can contact Musical Fidelity in the UK and ask to have the piece sent? Or try another MF dealer in Portugal?[/Managed to contact MF in the UK. They are sending me a switch. Thanks for the suggest]

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Managed to contact MF in the UK. They are sending me a switch. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Ved
    Managed to contact MF in the UK. They are sending me a switch. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Nice, I hope it works out!

Forum Regular

I know to hear, don't know what brand.

I like so much about music. I'm now searching for quality integrated amp. I've tried reading a lot about this area. But everytime i ask the hi fi dealer, they often told me their amps are the good one and those amplifiers i'd mention to them are not so good. I also want to learn about the hi fi technical. I think i need a long time to mastered this area. At home, i have a small room that i make it as my studio / music room. I appreciate you all as i'm sure you all are expert in hi fi area. Nice to read all the reviews.... Tq.

Suspended
    Amirulddin, welcome to AR. Where do you live? The secret is to not listen to the hype of sales people and trust your own ears, buy what makes you happy when you hear your favorite music. If possible try to audition what you want to buy in your own room. Most high end shops worth their salt will allow for this in some fashion.

Forum Regular
    If that 35 watt amp is a tube amp it may sound just as loud. With a tube amp you won't hear the distortion at higher volumes like you will with a solid state. I believe most SET amps run in pure class A.

I have a pair of very inefficient Aerials (84dB) speakers. They sound louder with a Yaqin tube amp of 50 watts than with a double-the-power Classe soild state.

Class A amps do offer the purist sound but their down side is excessive heat. I have a small fan blowing over the tubes of my SET amp.

With only one device handling both ends of the signal it would have to be class A.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information