Forum Regular

Reducing the cost of Brand Appeal in a 2 Channel Receiver/Amp purchase

I have been looking for a good 2 channel receiver/amp and have looked all over the map.

One caveat I would like to avoid is paying too much for the Brand Appeal of and Amp, as Sound Quality and Good Build are really what I am looking for.

I would like to get opinions, regarding what brands you belive give the best value for dollar spent, specifically, where the premium paid for "Brand Appeal" is least important in relation to the quality of the equipment.

I have looked at Onkyo-Yamaha-Marantz options and would like honest opinions of what differences I could expect in sound quality between these brands and what I could expect if went a step up in brand, and then, if the price difference is really worth it.

If you think the step up is worth it, which brands do you consider as a step up from the brands I have mentioned before.

I know all these questions are very subjective, so thanks for your input

It depends on what features are important to you. Honestly, between the three you mentioned, differences in sound quality are going to be pretty minimal at best. They are all good, well built machines and come from reputable manufacturers. Brand loyalty would probably sway your opinion as much as anything else.

A "step-up" IMO would be to look for a good integrated and separate tuner. Rotel, Roksan, NAD, Creek, Cambridge Audio, Audio Refinement, and Arcam all come to mind when discussing good integrateds under $1K; the NAD and CA well under $500. You could even get tubes from Jolida or ASL if you really want to hear something different. Any of these will be a considerable upgrade in sound quality from your garden variety 2 channel receiver, specifically because they incorporate far better parts than the ones you've listed. Their power supplies and transformers are generally much bigger, caps higher quality, and binding posts of a higher grade. Simply, they're built better.

Are they worth the extra price, if any? You tell me. I have no idea what your budget is, speakers you're driving, or your taste and preferences. Some people can't hear the difference...and that's fine. I'd buy whatever sounds best to my ears for the least amount of money.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thread Information