Protect Mode: what exactly is going on?

i have an older Marantz AVR that i bought cheap on ebay. About 50% of the time i power on..it goes into 'PROTECT' mode and shuts off. If i keep turning on and/or reseting the AVR it stays on and plays as normal...even at loud volume.

Can someone explain what this mode is/does. Any thing i can do short of sending it to a shop?

thanks,
    Greg

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    What kind of speakers? Your speakers may be presenting too small an impedance for it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

DC, they are just small Polk RT15a...8ohm and high sensitivity...maybe i'll try another speaker?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    No, there's probably something wrong with your Marantz.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i have an older Marantz AVR that i bought cheap on ebay. About 50% of the time i power on..it goes into 'PROTECT' mode and shuts off. If i keep turning on and/or reseting the AVR it stays on and plays as normal...even at loud volume.

Can someone explain what this mode is/does. Any thing i can do short of sending it to a shop?

thanks,
    Greg
    Make sure all of your connections are secure...this can happen if one of the wires is not making a good connection.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi Tarheel,

Uh oh...

Sometime around 2002-2003, I had 2 Marantz receivers (i think the model was SR-5200?)that both ended up doing the same thing. In my case it was something to do with a component in the circuit board going bad and affecting voltage somehow. Kind of funny, the authorized repair/dealer guy swore it was a fluke problem, but when I picked it up the tech that actually did the repair said he'd fixed/diagnosed a dozen of them or so. I got a warranty replacement the fist time, but that one died about a month after it was off warranty, and the repair was over $200 so I ended up buying a used Yamaha instead with pre-outs and more power.

The first receiver kept working for a few months without issue. Maybe you'll get lucky. The second one never came out of protect mode.
    My advice, based on my horrible experience and now biased opinion - try and sell it and cut your losses. Fast.

My advice, based on my horrible experience and now biased opinion - try and sell it and cut your losses. Fast.
    Labor will kill you, and dumping it while you're ahead is best. But the only one that would probably be willing to purchase knowing the issues at hand is a repair tech who can gut it for parts...

Don't sell on EBAY hoping to find that unlucky guy who thinks he is getting a great deal, you wouldn't want that to happen to you. Unfortunately, it may have already happened.

This is one reason I personally stay away from the internet w/ my electronics.

yeah, it looks bad...cables are all fine...now it's on a self timer...turns off every so often. I paid $60 bucks, so it could have been worse. Guess i'll look for another deal.

Thread Information