Post Audiosource Amp 7 T Digital Amplifier

Well, after searching for a "Newer" amp with a budget of $250-$300, I got this Amp
    on Saturday, after 10 days thanks to those bumbling clowns at UPS. Thankfully,
    it arrived unscathed. I ran it through the Pre-Amp of my Pioneer AVR, and using
    my trusty vintage Pioneer HPM 100's (Think supercharged JBL L100) Right off, it
    sound alittle flat, kind of like a cold tube amp, no doubt from sitting around for 5 or
    6 years. Without going into it to far, Audiosource/Carver had issues with the circuitry
    and the EPA. As a few hours passed, using moderate (for me) power, the Amp
    really settled in. Very good bass response, very "clear" and clean. I had read there
    would be issues with the "Bottom" of the freq range, Trust me, there is'nt. It would give
    the Hafler xl600(305wpc) I was house sitting a run for it's money. It has all the normal
    stuff on the back panel, including a "Pass Thru" set of rca's, to sequence another Amp,
    a handy feature I will certainly use. This amp uses the Tripath Digital chip, and the
    amp seems to "React" to signal changes with no lapses. It never got hot, has a pair
    of Carverlike VU meters, in fact if you stood 5 ft away you'd think it was a Carver
    TFM series amplifier. At 200wpc (Grossly underrated, from what I've seen, so far),
    and at under $250, it's something to contend with. Don't let the brand name run you
    off.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Big fan of Audiosource for bang for buck amplification. I used to run three of the Amp One's for the whole house audio system. Thanks for the review and comments, I haven't had a chance to hear amp 7T yet.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Polk Audio Customer Service

Whoa!! Really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Well, after searching for a "Newer" amp with a budget of $250-$300, I got this Amp on Saturday, after 10 days thanks to those bumbling clowns at UPS. Thankfully, it arrived unscathed.
    This amp uses the Tripath Digital chip, and the
    amp seems to "React" to signal changes with no lapses. It never got hot, has a pair
    of Carverlike VU meters, in fact if you stood 5 ft away you'd think it was a Carver
    TFM series amplifier. At 200wpc (Grossly underrated, from what I've seen, so far),
    and at under $250, it's something to contend with. Don't let the brand name run you
    off.
    A 200 wt/ch "Class T" amp <$300. That, folks, is REALLY interesting. (I paid $3000 for my former Bel Canto eVo 200 wt/ch T-based amp.)

Admittedly I'd never heard anything good about Audiosource amps heretofore, but this is actually kinda exciting. How bad can it sound? I can't recall off hand whether the T amp modules can be had with built in power supplies, but that is what's in the Audiosource, it's hard to imagine that they could screw it up.

It's a true Tripath amp. It somehow never made it to market. Someone's selling them all on eBay for under $300.00. Was very tempted to pick one up, just in case I ever need it...

The rumor is, it causes some kind of interference that made it non FCC compliant. Who knows if that's the truth, even if it came straight from the manufacturer. I've read a post on a message board claming the phase is reversed. Who knows... Heck of a deal if there turns out to be no problems with it. Carver Pro Tripath is much pricier and has a cooling fan, undesirable for hi-fi use...

Well, it's had about 20hrs of play time so far, and it has really impressed me. I listen
    to Rock/Metal mostly, and it's been a good match for my speakers. The Bass response
    has really surprised me. I read about the rf interference issue, have had no problems,
    although, I have a dish, not cable. Also, it does'nt get even warm to the touch, even
    though the transformer is huge. All I can say, the more it's played, the better it's
    sounding. For under $300, a steal. It would be a great surround amp, but it's staying
    as my main speaker amp for awhile.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player