golden ear

professional amp for home use

is it ok to make use of a recording and post production category amp at home to hook up with an existing AV receiver. say for example a crown or a behringer amp to hook up with a marantz receiver?

Forum Regular

CD player before amplifier !

Accastil , I hope you saw my 2nd addition on page 5 the very long list of replies to your question in "General Audio" - about a CD player before an additional Amplifier .
    From the nature of your amp question here I really think some-one has been giving you bad advice and you will simply end up spending a lot of money and gettting no "better" but only "louder" , and , if you buy "behringer" you may get "worse" quality with the louder . Behringer is a low price semi-pro / home recording / small PA products manufacturer - it is not quality sound - your Marantz is much better !
    I have spent years working with Pro and Semi-pro Audio and Recording . "Crown" were good for amps and hopefully they still are , but this is not the audio area you should be looking in unless you know a lot about what you are doing as there are numerous things to take into account and I am not going to even start writing about those . Stay with home audio brands and things will be compatible , seriously , Chris .

golden ear
    chris,
    have you heard the a500 already? are you saying that the sound you heard, if you alraeady did, is bad?

Forum Regular

a500 ?

a500 ? what is it ? , and what brand ?? - Chris .

The Collector
    as i say all the time for this a Crown K1 or K2 is the way to go. I could come up with a whole list of pro amps that would be great for home use. If its good enough to use in the studio to make the music its good enough to listen to at home.

Forum Regular
    I agree.

I use a Crown XLS 402b to drive my mains in my HT.Very satisfied with the results.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzin
    I agree.

I use a Crown XLS 402b to drive my mains in my HT.Very satisfied with the results.

Awesome! I've always been curious about using pro amps for critical listening for 2ch or home theater, but the threads about them are few and far between on how they sound in comparison to the home audio hi-fi amps. They are by far still less costlier than say a Krell, Parasound Halo and some other esoterically priced amps. I hope this thread continues on any personal comparisons.

Forum Regular
    One thing I should mention about the Crown XLS 402b.The fans in this amp are very loud.I did a mod on the fans and changed them out to a very quiet pair of fans from my local comp warehouse.They are standard 80MM fans.Completely quiet and cost was about $20 to do the mod.Took me about 15 minutes.

Be aware this does void the warrentee.I've heard the QSC amps are much quieter and require no fan mod.

Pro amps rock

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin
    One thing I should mention about the Crown XLS 402b.The fans in this amp are very loud.I did a mod on the fans and changed them out to a very quiet pair of fans from my local comp warehouse.They are standard 80MM fans.Completely quiet and cost was about $20 to do the mod.Took me about 15 minutes.

Be aware this does void the warrentee.I've heard the QSC amps are much quieter and require no fan mod.
    I love my pro amp and will never use anything else.
    The link below has so far the best price on brand new QSC SRA (Studio Reference Amplifier)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-SRA-3622-Pow...QQcmdZViewItem
    And they will qualify for the factory 3 year warranty.
    The fan is extremely quiet so there is no need to change it out.
    I have 2 bridged at 4800 watts and let me say this system ROCKS.
    you can see my equipment pics here:
    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showg...&ppuser=239881
    Once you get over a 1000 watts a channel you will not believe your ears.
    Even if you do not use all that power the head room will blow you away.
    Complete speaker control.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    I agree Brandon,

I'm pushing 400 watts into each of my mains and their loving it.

The Collector
    if you search through past threads there are many discussions on what people feel the pros and cons are of pro amps... i personally am a strong believer in using them

A serious amp at a good price!

Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    is it ok to make use of a recording and post production category amp at home to hook up with an existing AV receiver. say for example a crown or a behringer amp to hook up with a marantz receiver?
    This is a serious amp and for a good price I have two of them but before I had two I had one and you will not believe the sound this amp will produce.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-SRA-3622-STU...QQcmdZViewItem

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    The use of the word AWESOME is deeply offensive to some of us.Their have been riots about this.
    JT

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nothing wrong with using a pro-amp at all. Often they can be quite noisy if their fans engage, unless you're volume is cranked so high that it overpowers them.
    I've tried it myself. I think there's some merit to the notion that home amps produce "higher-fidelity" when used with stereo speakers based on what I've heard, but for many people with A/V receivers or inexpensive power amps, a pro-amp is certainly an option to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Nothing wrong with using a pro-amp at all. Often they can be quite noisy if their fans engage, unless you're volume is cranked so high that it overpowers them.
    I've tried it myself. I think there's some merit to the notion that home amps produce "higher-fidelity" when used with stereo speakers based on what I've heard, but for many people with A/V receivers or inexpensive power amps, a pro-amp is certainly an option to consider.
    The QSC 3622 fans are the quietest in the business even when the fan is blowing full force you can barely hear it.

Thats one of the many excellent features about this amp is the QUIET FAN.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by jtgofish
    The use of the word AWESOME is deeply offensive to some of us.Their have been riots about this.
    JT
    Why is word AWESOME deeply offensive TO YOU?
    this is the first time I have heard anyone on these boards make mention that the word AWESOME as being offensive.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Awesome is the biggest word that Paris Hilton and other similar BIMBOS use-and so they use it for just about every description of anything approaching tolerable.If you do an ebay search under awesome you will get all the listings for complete crap!So if this word ever had any currency it lost it long ago and is now just annoyingly stupid.A shame really because in its purist meaning it was a nice word.
    JT

Forum Regular

No disrespect intended...

.......because I did mean it in the purist sense of the word in regards to this hobby. Didn't mean to stir things up.

I agree....Paris should choose another word.

Thread Information