• 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
    slbenz
    Problem with Stereophile Class A Ratings
    Had a chance to listen to the Stereophile Class A rated Aesthetix Calypso preamp and compare it against the Bruce Moore Audio Design Companion III preamp. Though the Calypso sounded good, the Companion III sounded even better. More detail, greater depth to the sound stage and more life-like at a price that is less than the Calypso. I was surprised that a product that was Stereophile Class A was beaten by a product that cost less and wasn't rated. Speaking with the distributor of Bruce Moore products, his thoughts about these ratings should be used as a guide and not an absolute. Anyone else experience the same with a Stereophile rated product? If you happen to be in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, you should stop by and listen to the Bruce Moore product yourself and ask for Bob at www.rbaudio.com. He is very friendly and will not push you into something that you don't need. By the way, I have been trying for days to add this Bruce Moore Companion III to the Audioreview database to no avail. The site says it was added but I couldn't find my review. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
  • 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slbenz
    Speaking with the distributor of Bruce Moore products, his thoughts about these ratings should be used as a guide and not an absolute. Anyone else experience the same with a Stereophile rated product?

Stereophile would likely tell you the same. I know that's what HP of TAS says. The absence of a rating means nothing. No single magazine or webzine can stay on top of all the products on the market. As for price, the Aesthetix has a remote control which could explain the price difference. The best preamps I've heard all sound a bit different, so preferences likely sneak in the evaluation as well. I heard a comparison between the big three chassis IO model and a C-J ART II and preferred the ART. To each his own.

rw
  • 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Just like automobiles, is SL better than Maserati Coupe? They both have different specs and price. No one would pick out a Car and Driver magazine and come to a conclusion.

You picked SL just like the way you picked out the Companion III. If you had anything to do with the rating, BM Pre would've come out as Class A.

As for adding products to the server, I think it takes about 2-3 days, but mine never got approved for some reason.

How do you like your pre?

JRA
  • 08-15-2007, 01:03 AM
    RGA
    I spoke to a reviewer at Stereophile who admitted to me that the best musically sounding integrated in it's class would be the Sugden A21a. This amp was reviewed by Stereophile around 2004 give or take but the amplifier has been sold since 1992.

So for about 10 years the magazine was reviewing inferior sounding amplifiers under $3000.00 .

Stereophile does not review everything and as such it is very possible that something is better than what they review. In fact they often give products to reviewers on their staff that don't have a lot of experience with gear and or who own pieces from the maker already. For example a Paradigm 60 speaker was given to a reviewer with less experience - with not a great system and someone who already owns the prior model. So it gets a very favorable review but so what - plenty of non writer audiophiles have much more experience and would have been more objective. But a lot of Paradigm advertising dollars keeps Stereophile in business so it makes sense that they get to choose the reviewer.

This magazine is not even remotely an absolute. The inconsistencies are enormous. Buy with your ears.
  • 08-15-2007, 07:17 AM
    slbenz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Just like automobiles, is SL better than Maserati Coupe? They both have different specs and price. No one would pick out a Car and Driver magazine and come to a conclusion.

You picked SL just like the way you picked out the Companion III. If you had anything to do with the rating, BM Pre would've come out as Class A.

As for adding products to the server, I think it takes about 2-3 days, but mine never got approved for some reason.

How do you like your pre?

JRA

JRA,

I've had the Outlaw Audio Model 990 about a month now. I like it very much. Better sound than my old Parasound AVC-1800 that it replaced. Probably because of the 24 bit, 192 kHz DACs in all channels vs. the Parasound 24 bit and according to Parasound Tech Support, 48 kHz support not 96 kHz as the DACs it used would suggest. There seems to be a better balance all-around with the mains, center and surrounds with the Outlaw that I could never seem to achieve with the Parasound. In two-channel mode, the Outlaw has much more sense of depth and detail with much less harshness in the highs. Also having a USB input is very nice to have. Now my family can enjoy those instant movies on Netflix. Thanks for asking.