Forum Regular

Exclamation Searching for a new integrated amplifier...

Hello there,

since mine amplifier (Aeron A4, 1 year old) is dying i'm in search of a new amplifier.

But I have serious issues:

1. I'm energy conscious so I don't want to buy something too much power hungry.
    2. I hate poor electronics... the Aeron A4 (http://www.audio4.it/vecchiosito/pag...aer_prodhf.htm) sounded well (when it was healthy) but had very poor 'control electronics'.
    3. The look must please the wife.
    4. It must sound good (great soundstage, clear details).
    5. It must be very cheap (<250 euro).

It would be any good the new Onkyo A-9155 (http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/pro...5341303.html)? It must drive mine Tannoy Fusion 2 (http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...RCURY+F2&s=25).
    Would it be underpowered for those speakers?

I know that Japanese amplifiers are hammered by many people but at least in 'control electronics', look and 'cheapyness' have very few rivals.

Hope to see some replies.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nothing wrong with Japanese electronics. They have certain strengths and weaknesses at their price points of course, but typically, reliability and value are hard to beat.
    Not necessarily the best sounding of course.

I have heard that NAD is introducing a new, C315 BEE integrated model 40 Watts/channel, and simple design. It's suppose to be a great bargain entry-level product. I think it will easily fall in your price range.
    http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ated-Amplifier

Otherwise I'd suggest the used market. You'll find you probably get better bang for your Euro buying a used NAD, Rotel, Arcam etc.
    Try ebay and audiogon.com.
    Does Europe have any good on-line, used audio equipment web sites? Maybe a good store in your area?

Forum Regular
    Mine wife would not accept a used amplifier, she just told me... (lol)

The only options are these (because in Italy I could fine only these at that price):
    Onkyo A-9155
    Pioneer A-307R
    Cambridge Audio Azur 340A

I'm not very keen with the last (Cambridge Audio) since mine Aeron was well sounding too... but got broken with easy (I imagine that with CA will be the same, they share a bit on the external design, maybe reliability would be the same?).

I cannot really buy amplifiers every year I need reliability too.

Thanks

Isn't there anymore warranty on the aeron? if so you could get it repaired for free...

the CA should be quite reliable, it's a respected, well known brand, you can't go wrong with it too...

also check out denon, us europeans have more models than they have in the usa, I have a Denon PMA 700AE myself (irony: mine will be replaced too, although it isn't dead or so) there is one model lower: a denon PMA 500AE, maybe you could get that one...

or you could save on a little and check out the 'next in the line' products from those brands, maybe even get a rotel or so.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Yes, I could go for a PMA 500AE too.. I can easily find it. Which would be better from those four?

Which characteristics distinguish them?

Forum Regular

which of those four?

In my limited experience, Onkyo does a fine job for your requirements. Their stuff always seems to be a little under-priced, well-built, and surprisingly good, sonically. I grew up in a house with an A-22, which was rated at 40wpc and only had three inputs, and a friend of mine still uses it as his primary amp to run an enormous pair of Polk rta-11's, with no worries. The Onkyo won't win any blue ribbons for sound, but neither will the other amps on your short list, and the Onkyo will give you fewer problems, I think.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmmm, I think of those choices I'd have to Cambridge Audio unit. It's a pretty good amp for the money and they're usually reliable.

I'd give Onkyo the edge in that area though. I'm sure both will do the job you need done.

Forum Regular
    It's possible that CA have better details but less 'life' than the Onkyo?

I narrowed mine choice with these two but I am still undecided.

Sometimes mine Aeron lack that 'pop' that convince (instead it has very good channel separation and clarity).

Man or mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    Mine wife would not accept a used amplifier, she just told me... (lol)

I cannot really buy amplifiers every year I need reliability too.

Thanks
    I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't boss me around, (not with respect to hi-fi choices I mean). I have to take budget into consideration and maybe the impact of huge speakers . But whether I buy this or that amp, big/small, pretty/ugly, new/used she gets no say.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't boss me around, (not with respect to hi-fi choices I mean). I have to take budget into consideration and maybe the impact of huge speakers . But whether I buy this or that amp, big/small, pretty/ugly, new/used she gets no say.
    On things used it's a big NO. She thinks that if one must buy a thing it must be new. I too am not happy to buy used things... there aren't only honest people that give you amplifiers in very good status, and you lose the warranty too...

Generally I'm more than happy to spend more to take good things new (like the A-9355 or the Azur 540A) but now I'm tight on the budget.

Forum Regular

Wives and amplifiers and bossing, oh my!

My wife doesn't boss me around either -- but only because I don't have one.

To the OP, yes, the Cambridge will probably sound a little more detailed than the Onkyo, but only at very low sound pressures. Watt for watt, the Onkyo has more current and will display that advantage with more agility when the joint starts jumping. And definitely the Onkyo will have a better build quality. In my humble opinion, that is....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dogorman
    My wife doesn't boss me around either -- but only because I don't have one.

To the OP, yes, the Cambridge will probably sound a little more detailed than the Onkyo, but only at very low sound pressures. Watt for watt, the Onkyo has more current and will display that advantage with more agility when the joint starts jumping. And definitely the Onkyo will have a better build quality. In my humble opinion, that is....
    Onkyo talk about DIN power, CA about RMS, don't know if Onkyo is really more powerful.

Suspended
    Look at the Onkyo 9555, it is a Class D amplifier that will run extremely cool and beat out some other Class D/T amps much more expensive in a integrated amp shoot out. It retails at $699.00 US, I don't know what it would be in Euros
    http://stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

The Cambridge is a good suggestion as well. They took the market by storm offering high performing products at a budget price.

Thread Information