• 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
    dakatabg
    Problem with Kenwood KM-106
    Today I just received another Kenwood KM-106 and here is the problem with it.

Both channels are working, however the left one has distraction in the sound. It is got the power and everything but the sound is not clear and it sounds like a blown channel but it is got the power!

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?
  • 02-21-2010, 04:51 PM
    thekid
    Not sure what you mean by the term "distraction"?
    Did you give it a good cleaning before you fired it up??
  • 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
    dakatabg
    Yeah I did clean it very good. Ok let me try to explain it another way:

The left channel doesn't seem to be blown because when I get the volume up it gets it the same as the right channel! The left channel just doesn't sound clear and it sounds like it is about to cut any second! I don't know any other ways to explain it but I think you know what I mean now.

Another way to say it - It is like cutting but it has the power!
  • 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Have you thoroughly checked all connectors, most especially the speaker connectors? A cold/bad solder joint is a possibility. Do the power meters read fairly equal?

Also, check the A/B speaker selector switch. Connect both speakers to A then both to B. Is the problem on both settings?
  • 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
    dakatabg
    Yeah JoeE i've checked it 3 times already! The power meters are reading both equal. The amplifier has the power on both channels but only on the left it is not clear sound. I tried the A and B speaker switch and on both the left channel does the same!
  • 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Is the distortion consistent at all levels, even at very low levels? If you have a meter, check the DC offset on the bad channel. Anything above a couple of millivolts is probably too high. To do it just measure the DC voltage at the output connectors while the amp is on and not connected to anything. Just remove the inputs.
  • 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
    dakatabg
    Yeah even at the low levels! I will try to measure the voltage