Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jneutron
    I thought it was named after his brother "Crown"..or his father "Family"
    Stiffness counts whether we're talking power supplies, gems, or um -- well you know.

Man, I love this jpeg capability..nothin like a pic..here's that cap bank. uses copper buss cause it's 6 kiloamps. 32 capacitors, 2000 uf apiece, 400 volts give or take..5,120 joules..I'm glad I only deal with the small stuff, the big stuff scares me..
    Kewl. This system using three pair of Wotans has almost as much - 4,680 joules. Which in Rolls Royce speak is "a surfeit of adequacy".

Close up of Wotans at HP's and those crazy Valhalla cables (didn't have the matching power cords then)

rw

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Mr Neutron....have I got something for you!

Man, I love this jpeg capability..nothin like a pic..here's that cap bank. uses copper buss cause it's 6 kiloamps. 32 capacitors, 2000 uf apiece, 400 volts give or take..5,120 joules..I'm glad I only deal with the small stuff, the big stuff scares me..

Cheers, John
    These guys are amateurs, but they look like the're having lots of fun!

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

a quote; " Once the main gap fires, current rapidly climbs in the work coil, the rate of change (di/dt) being of the order of 4-5 billion amperes/second."

"You can also see the highly conductive arc inside the trigatron switch (the cylindrical object to the right of the blast shield) as it switches over 100,000 amps into the work coil. The resulting magnetic field can erase nearby credit cards. And yes, it makes a BIG bang..."
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 10-20-2005 at 04:39 PM.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    E-stat: back in '78 I dj'd a club, I had installed the system, 4800 watts at roughly 100dbspl sensitivity...once, only once, did I ever hit the tonearm..a cuff on my shirt caught it while I was workin the light panel..scraped it across the vinyl...it sounded like lightning had hit the building..the entire club stopped, all eyes looked at me, most of them outta fear, some may have, umm, had an accident..all I could do was lean over into the mike, and say.....whoa...

If I did that at HP's, would the EMT's know how to deal with the carnage?? Perhaps the coroner carries a foxtail and dustpan, or a dyson..

Geoff...I kinda figured it'd be either the shrinker guys, or a pic of the Z-pinch bank during discharge..

They're all nuts..but, that is the most fun..

Cheers, John

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I thought you'ld get a kick outta that

Geoff...I kinda figured it'd be either the shrinker guys, or a pic of the Z-pinch bank during discharge..

They're all nuts..but, that is the most fun..

Cheers, John
    Those guys are only working with 30kJ, but the big boys with the Z machine;

18 million amps in 10 billionths of a second.....yeah baby!!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

If I did that at HP's, would the EMT's know how to deal with the carnage?? Perhaps the coroner carries a foxtail and dustpan, or a dyson.
    Trust me, I demonstrate the appropriate patience, mechanical empathy and reverence whenever I lower a $4000 cartridge onto a $20,000 turntable in a $350,000 system!!

Gain always gone down first. Likewise when I first place the heavy platter weight over the disk itself or when cleaning the stylus. Fortunately, the table is situated atop an isolation base on his rack requiring a step stool to access rendering it difficult to bump inadvertently.

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Trust me, I demonstrate the appropriate patience, mechanical empathy and reverence whenever I lower a $4000 cartridge onto a $20,000 turntable in a $350,000 system!!

Gain always gone down first. Likewise when I first place the heavy platter weight over the disk itself or when cleaning the stylus. Fortunately, the table is situated atop an isolation base on his rack requiring a step stool to access rendering it difficult to bump inadvertently.

rw
    What...no mirror ball, strobe, or helicopter effects?? Geeze, no fun..

Cheers, John

Pat
    Forum Regular
    I would very much like to try a K1 or K2 Crown amp with my Klipsch Speakers. A few people have told me not to and a few have told me to try it. When I get the opportunity I will be singing like a bird whether it mates well or not.......I am curious as heck.
    Have a good day.....Sez' Pat
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I was wondering how would a Crown XLS 402(about 250$) compare in sound quality and power to the ONIX A-60(right now, about 250$)? i was comparing them and thinking of replacing my crown for the onix, but don't know...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information