Preout q for newb

Printable View

• 02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
    ryanbouma
    Preout q for newb
    If I had a Denon AVR787 or something with preouts, does that allow me to run an external amp and have volume control and level adjustment and all that stuff? My thought is that the receiver changes the signal going to the amp? Or is it just like external in or external out from the source? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • 02-14-2008, 10:24 AM
    markw
    A preamp output is after the preamp section. Source selection, MC decoding, volume, tone and whatever other signal manipulation that would occur has already taken place.

The signal is "hijacked" just before the power amp inputs and routed to the preamp out kacke, which will feed an external power amplifier.

If you wanted to intercept the signal after the sourc eselection and before any other signal manipulation is done, you'll need what's called a "tape output" jack, but this usually only passes analog signals (tuner, red/white analog CD, phono, tape) but not digital sources.
  • 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
    ryanbouma
    Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I want more cleaner power into a 4ohm speaker. So what I'll do is pass the signal from the pre-outs on the back of the receiver to a separate amplifier and that should accomplish my mission. Sound Right? Thank you.
  • 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbouma
    Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I want more cleaner power into a 4ohm speaker. So what I'll do is pass the signal from the pre-outs on the back of the receiver to a separate amplifier and that should accomplish my mission. Sound Right?

Yep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbouma
    Thank you.

You're very welcome.

enjoy.
  • 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
    GMichael
    Another satisfied customer.
  • 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Another satisfied customer.

Wait until he gets the bill.
  • 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Wait until he gets the bill.

You charge for your services? Tramp!
  • 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM
    markw
    Quote:

You charge for your services? Tramp!

Hey, since I hurt my ankle and can't dance at Chippendales anymore, a guy's gotta make a buck!
  • 02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Hety, they say I'm too old to dance at Chippendales anymore and a guy's gotta make a buck!

Thanks. Now that's an image burned into my mind's eye. Anyone got an imaginary poker on them?
  • 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
    markw
    no, really, I'm hurtin'
    Quote:

Thanks. Now that's an image burned into my mind's eye. Anyone got an imaginary poker on them?

All I can do there now is sit there and lick my eyebrows.
  • 02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
    GMichael
    I didn't mean to hurt you..
    But keep that tounge to yourself.:incazzato: