Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Preamp/quality of audio

My question: How much does the preamp in a system affect the qualiry of the sound in a stereo system? I have an Anthem MCA20 amp and a Rotel RC1070 preamp. Would I improve the quality of sound by upgrading my preamp? Thanks in advance for any help on this point. JNorth1178

preamps determine alot of the sound, not that the rotel is bad though...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by JNorth1178
    My question: How much does the preamp in a system affect the qualiry of the sound in a stereo system? I have an Anthem MCA20 amp and a Rotel RC1070 preamp. Would I improve the quality of sound by upgrading my preamp? Thanks in advance for any help on this point. JNorth1178
    I agree with Basite's comments:

Preamps play a big role in sound quality.... but that does not mean that you will get the best improvement by changing your pre...

Obviously, I'm biased being a Rotel 1070 owner, but unless you are willing to spend substantially more money than what you spent on the 1070, I doubt you'll get a worthwhile improvement in sound quality.

What kind of speakers are you using? Since changing speakers and room accoustics have the greatest impact on sound quality...

Forum Regular
    I have B&W 805s. speakers

I have B&W 805s. speakers
    That should be a great match.... I initially bought my Rotels with the initention of eventually purchasing either the 805s or 804.... Since I really liked the sound of those pairings in the store's listening room...

So what about the sound of your setup are you disatisfied with? since all of your components listed; amp, pre and speakers are all fine products in their own rights...

Forum Regular
    Carl: No, I am very pleased with the sound. Just wondering if there was something more that I could strive for. I guess that is what makes this audio so interesting. Like golf you can never, hard as you try, reach perfection. Good listening. JNorth1178

Suspended
    Most high end shops will arrange some kind of home demo of their equipment. You should pick a preamp to try, to see what effect you will get. Although Rotel is a fine product, I don't think it's a secret that preamps aren't' their strong point. I personally feel Rotel has a distinct sound quality and it may be interesting to see how you view the change in your system's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Although Rotel is a fine product, I don't think it's a secret that preamps aren't' their strong point.

Sorry can't agree with that statement, neither professional reviews nor customer feedbacks would lead me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with their preamps.... Are U saying that they make a bad $700 pre-amp? Since the RC1070 is just $700....

Of course, I'll admit that there are better pre-amps out there for more money... Classe, Mark Levinson, Bryston, etc... etc... etc... but as I said... for more money... usually a lot more money....

Carl: No, I am very pleased with the sound. Just wondering if there was something more that I could strive for. I guess that is what makes this audio so interesting. Like golf you can never, hard as you try, reach perfection. Good listening. JNorth1178
    Oh no worries... I thought you had a specific problem with the sound.... if you're just looking for better sound, then of the components listed... I would agree with looking for a more expensive Pre-amp first... then the amp... I think your speakers are really good already...

Depending on your budget, you might want to check out new or used Classe or Bryston Pre-amps... Those should probably take you to the next level...

What's your budget? if you state that, then hopefully some of the guys with a bit more experience with higher end pre-amps will be able to make some other recommendations...

And there's nothing wrong with upgrading... if you have the money and the desire... go for it... heck... I think my setup sounds really good for mid-fi or basic entry level hi-fi but first chance I get I'll probably start upgrading anyway.... Good Luck with your search...

Forum Regular
    Following thru with suggeestion that I listen to some other preamps, I was wondering if the Anthem TLPI would be a step up from the Rotel RC 1070? My budget is around $1000 JNorth1178

Following thru with suggeestion that I listen to some other preamps, I was wondering if the Anthem TLPI would be a step up from the Rotel RC 1070? My budget is around $1000 JNorth1178
    Based on my experiences with both the Rotel RC 1070 and the Anthem TLP1 I would definitely say NO.... I tried out both The TLP1 and the RC1070 when I was shopping around for a pre....

What you're considering doing is a lateral movement rather than an upgrade... Both Preamps are highly regarded in the same price class... I honestly think that if you want to step things up, you are better checking out used preamps for your budget....

But I think you should still check out the TLP1 and draw your own conclusion on it....I prefered the Rotel over it... but you may not come to that same conclusion... just don't expect to be overwhelmed by the difference between the two...

Forum Regular
    Thanks for that input, Carl. JNorth1178

For around $1000 you should check out a used Conrad Johnson or Audio Research tube preamp. They will both sound better than what you have been listening to.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    The comment made about preamps not being Rotel's strong point was made to me by our local Rotel dealer and echoed by a few other Rotel users. I didn't take that to mean the preamps were necessarily bad but maybe they weren't as good as other Rotel pieces as far as performance per dollar. On the other hand, as you point out, there really isn't much competition in it's price range.

The only Anthem preamp I've heard was the AVM-20. To me it sounded better than anything previously listened to from Rotel. That doesn't mean the TL would be a big difference though. However, the two Anthem pieces may have a synergy being from the same manufactuerer, that your current set up don't have. Rotel dealer here uses B&W where the Anthem people use Paradigm. That will be some difference but I perceived a difference in the type of sound Rotel goes for verses Anthem. I've heard Rotel much more times and they give music a laid back or almost a slower tempo to me. But my perspective comes from brands like Krell and Arcam whose presentation is very fast.

Forum Regular
    Mr. Peabody: Do you think the AVM 20 wouod be a step up from the Rotel RC 1070? Where does the Audio Research peamps fit in to the picture?

Suspended
    To me, it did, but the AVM-20 is a preamp/processor. If you are sticking with just 2 channel you are better buying a preamp where all the money goes to sound instead of processing and such you won't use.

Also, I respect Rotel, but their sound does not appeal to me. So keep that in mind while weighing my answers.

For $1k, you could get a pretty good step up on the used market. That's probably your best bet for an increase in sound quality. Another place an upgrade always helps is the source. You can find some very good used DAC's for much less then $1k and probably a killer for $1k. The EAD-7000 and some of the Conrad Johnson solid state can be found for under $500.00 and should give you a substantial gain. If you can find any of the Audio Note DAC's, the 1.1x should be under $1k used, that is an outstanding DAC.

Forum Regular
    I am going to show just how much of an amateur I am. What is a DAC? You may want to boot me off of this forum, but I am just a novice. JNorth1178

A DAC is an Ananlog to Digital converter. It takes the didital output from your DVD/CD player and converts it to analog. All CD/DVD players and all MC receivers have one built in. Many think external DAC's are better than the internal ones in most devices. A lot of people think ARC and CJ preamps are better than most of what's available.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    How would you comare the Parasound Halo P3 preamp to the Rotel RC 1070?

how about a primaluna tube pre?
    like this one:
    http://www.primaluna.nl/products_subpage1a3.htm

or maybe a cary pre? don't know their prices though...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    While I agree with the preamp recommendations here, if you are "very pleased with the sound" at this time then why change anything ? As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If I were in your shoes I would spend the money on CDs instead, until I got tired of my system. THEN I would consider an upgrade.

How would *I* compare them?

How would you comare the Parasound Halo P3 preamp to the Rotel RC 1070?
    Having heard neither, but knowing that they are in a similar price range and targeting the same market segment, I would not expect a hugh difference in sound quality. So my comparison would center around the specific functionality of each unit.

For example, the P3 has balanced, XLR inputs and outputs whereas the RC1070 has only single-ended, RCA connections. Since my power amp prefers balanced signals, the balanced outputs are a significant issue for me but they probably aren't for you.

If you are looking for a significantly "different" sound from your preamp, you will need to look at more expensive solid state preamps, or at tube preamps which are also likely to be more expensive.

I personally am not interested in tube preamps, but if I were I'd check out this one.

Mapletree Audio Design Ultra 4A SE Special Edition ...
    http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/#preamps
    $800, (new)

Suspended
    In my book, a DAC is a DAC whether it's in a single box or outboard. Any sound difference will depend on the individual unit and how good the analog circuits are. But, if one already has a player, sometimes you can get a larger gain by just adding the DAC and using your existing unit as transport. In my second system I added an old Conrad Johnson DAC to a Denon CD player, and the improvement was huge, for just $450.00 used. No single cdp would give me that improvement unless I spent at least double the money. This is probably a great example because the Denon/CJ combo is the source for an Adcom gfp-450 and gfa-5400. The gfp-450 only cost around $400.00. I really don't think going to a $1k preamp would give me as much of an improvement as adding the DAC.

Mid-Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    In my book, a DAC is a DAC whether it's in a single box or outboard. Any sound difference will depend on the individual unit and how good the analog circuits are. But, if one already has a player, sometimes you can get a larger gain by just adding the DAC and using your existing unit as transport. In my second system I added an old Conrad Johnson DAC to a Denon CD player, and the improvement was huge, for just $450.00 used. No single cdp would give me that improvement unless I spent at least double the money. This is probably a great example because the Denon/CJ combo is the source for an Adcom gfp-450 and gfa-5400. The gfp-450 only cost around $400.00. I really don't think going to a $1k preamp would give me as much of an improvement as adding the DAC.
    Mr Peabody,

How do you rate these older single function DAC like Aragon D2A, D2A2 or the CJ you mentioned compared to the DACs inside the highend HT processor like Lexicon MC1 or Proceed AVP?

If I use a good processor like Proceed AVP that also offer very good 2 channel performance, what kind of seperate DAC is the entry one to beat the AVP? How much I need to spend?

Thanks

Suspended
    Minye, I hesitate to comment as I've not heard Lexicon, and very little Proceed. I'd think it would be pretty close, if not better, at least with the Proceed. Proceed is Mark Levinson product and I'm sure it's high quality. If you got your hands on something like that and had a good transport, like in a well built DVD player, music ought to soun very good. It would be difficult to say what would be better without a reference point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information