Adcom 545 series 1 or 2? and 5.1...

First, I want to try running 4 surround spks in my 5.1 system. I may be buying a large house with a very large (nearly 30"x30") family room. I have two pair of BIC V-52s, I am using one pair as my surround spks currently. If I wire them in parallel I will have a 4 ohm load and I will run them with my Adcom GFA-545 off the surround preout from my Yamaha RX-V995. What do you think of that kind of set up? I know I could get a 7.1 receiver, but I like my RX-V995 and this will be less expensive.

Secondly, I am going to replace my 545 with another one. Would you go with a series 1 or 2, I read somewhere that the series 1 was better.

Thanks,
    Brad
    Home Theater:

Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), 2 x Velodyne ULD 15 Series II Sub & Amp, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Vizio E-701B-3

2.0 setup:

Schiit Freya Tube PreAmp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.

I think the difference between the GFA-545 and the GFA-545II might come down to preference. The II amps have reduced distortion as compared to the originals, but they sound brighter to me. I used to leave the tone controls on my GFA-535 flat, but I sometimes cut the treble quite a bit on my GFA-545II and my recently-acquired GFA-555II. Why do you need a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I think the difference between the GFA-545 and the GFA-545II might come down to preference. The II amps have reduced distortion as compared to the originals, but they sound brighter to me. I used to leave the tone controls on my GFA-535 flat, but I sometimes cut the treble quite a bit on my GFA-545II and my recently-acquired GFA-555II. Why do you need a replacement?
    Right now my my 545 runs my Athena S1s in my bedroom, with a PS Audio 4.6 preamp. I am using the Yamaha's built in amp for the V52/surround In my Family room but that cant handle a 4 ohm load for the surrounds. I just mean I want another one.

Brad
    Home Theater:

Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), 2 x Velodyne ULD 15 Series II Sub & Amp, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Vizio E-701B-3

2.0 setup:

Schiit Freya Tube PreAmp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.

If you anticipate needing to buy an amp without listening to one, it seems like you might want to go with the GFA-545, since you already know you like them. However, it would make sense that the II would sound better...unless Adcom's upgrades actually made it worse. I checked eBay prices and it looks like they vary quite a bit. I can't see a pattern of whether people are paying more for the II or the original.

Thread Information